PSK-200, can't control air bubbles. Collection cup fills with water in seconds

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Magnus, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I just improvised a mini sump with a 10 gallon tank. I have about 9 inches of water in it, the PSK-200 and the return pump.

I've got the water level stable, but as soon as I turn the skimmer on, the air bubbles go up and the collection cup fills with water in seconds.

I've turned the blue knob on the "L" position. I'm assuming that "L" stands for "Low" and the "H" on the other side is for "High".

Can somebody help me with this problem? I need to turn this on and make it work properly ASAP.

- Magnus.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Sounds like the air line is plugged or restricted.

You should be able to adjust water level. Are you sure the wedge pipe is actually moving withe the knob. Take the collection cup off and let it over flow, move the wedge pipe/knob to adjust and see that it is actually doing something.

1 person likes this.
  4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It's brand new skimmer and the air tubing that came with is brand new as well. There's a filter hooked up to it. I'll change the place where I connected it from and I'll try removing it.

Any other suggestions I could try?
    I'll get back if that fixed it.

- Magnus.

5. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

think your stuff is too new like you mentioned, give it sometime to break in. Next time give it a vinegar bath to avoid things like this happen.

also, do you have RO water or mix your own with tab water?

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You may be talking about the air silencer... it should not be restrictive. As long as the air line is open,that's not it. Try making sure the wedge pipe is actually changing the opening to adjust water level.

What... hold on

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So what is the recomended water level?

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That would have been nice to know. I'm a firm believer in user guides or manuals, but didn't get any with my skimmer and there's none in the website.
    The problem is that even with the little adjusting valve on the "Low" setting, the bubbles fill the cup, then bubbles become water and the collection cup is full of water in about 5 seconds. Maybe I'm missing a part or a washer? Please let me know what else could cause this, since I'm not able to leave it on due to water splashing through the holes on the top of the lid and collection cup over flooding.

You're correct. It's an air silencer. I had it hooked up from the longest plug on the exterior side. I hooked it up from the middle, shorter plug and it helped a little I think, but it still over flows. I took it completely off and it still does the same, unfortunately.

I googled other threads where it says the recommended water level is 8 to 9 inches. I have it at 8.5 inches deep.

Is there supposed to be a washer on the blue regulating valve? I don't know what else to try. Please help me. Keep the suggestions coming and I'll test and come back with the results.

- Magnus.

10. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

no washer, your skimmer need to break in.

btw, are you using tab or RO water?

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It's RO water that was mixed with Reef Crystals salt mix. The water is coming from my tank through a siphon box/overflow box.

Could you specify how to break in the skimmer? What's the process?
    Thanks for the help.

- Mag.

12. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

usually to break in a skimmer, it's best to give it a vinegar bath and run it 2 to 3 hrs. it all depends on the user, of course. for me i like to give it a 12 hrs. vinegar bath and run it for 2 to 3 hrs. before putting it into the sump. this usually speed up the break in period.

your skimmer has nothing to do with turning the knob or anything. it's too new and if i'm correct, you might have a new sump or tank there also that you try to set everything up all together at once.

so in your case, what i would do is take out the collection cup and let run for awhile.
    oh couse you can do this without the bubbles return. it all depends on your sump set up. it you have bubble trap, you can do this and get away.