Protein skimmer

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Needareef, Sep 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Needareef

Needareef Plankton

I am feeding with reef chili . I have heard to only run protein skimmer 4 hours a day sO they don't skim the proteins. Is this good or bad advice

2. Click Here!

3. ska d

ska d Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ive sseen lots.written about whether to feed or not to feed. Ive also seen a couple of products that recommend turning off skimmer. Marine snow for example. The only time i turn off my skimmer is to clean. I do feed my corals once a week and about half of what is recommended. I always turn off my main pump but always leave the skimmer running. Its just a personal choice, but i figure it a safety measure in case i do overfeed the skimmer will remove some excess. I dont have alot of corals that require feeding so im not to worried about some of the food getting sucked up. Probably the main reason i dont turn off skimmer is because i would most likley forget to turn it back on. My main pump is hooked up to a wavemaker with a dedicated pump outlet that has a feeding program that shuts off the pump for 30 min so im good there. Long story short leave the skimmer running but thats just my opinion.

4. Needareef

Needareef Plankton

5. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

Same here. I run my skimmer all the time minus water changes and cleaning time.