protein skimmer went nuts

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by dahos, Mar 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

I blended frozen, raw de-veined and peeled shrimp bought at the grocery store and refroze them into cubes. When I added one of the cubes to the tank my protein skimmer went nuts and overflowed.

I want to make my own food but not if it is going to do this every time i feed them.

My protein skimmer is the Red Sea Prizm Pro.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Well, it's just taking out the gunk.....you may want to 'wash' the food and get the liquid out of it, just leaving solid for the fish to eat. I have a feeling the skimmer is responding to the liquid that the fish bypass. But at least the prizm is working well. That is good to hear.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Was this cooked shrimp or raw?

5. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

raw.

I am sure PharmrJohn is right. I did not rinse it so the oils and gunk probably caused it to foam like maniac.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

its the phosphates that is added as a preservative added when for human consumption . Can't recall the real name now brain dead today . But there has been many post about the seafood for humans and used for aqairums I'd always by bait shrimp and clams and mussels when I was making the stuff . way back now I simple feed OSI flakes 100% of the time.. You may besetting yourself for a huge algae of biblical proportions .. Are you testing for Phosphates ? Maybe John will no off the top of his head I'm chemically challenged .

1 person likes this.
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Disodium Phosphate is a possibility. I had no idea phosphates did that.

8. Click Here!

9. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

I test for phos about once a month. I tested two weeks ago and it read zero. I am running phos remover in the basket inside the protein skimmer.

I normally feed some cyclopeeze, dried seaweed, and some form of frozen food, like fomula one or two but thought making my own would be healthier for fish.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thanks thats it I knew the sodium but the Di gor me I kept think of freon monodifluroclorflormethane when i got to the di option LOL I'm brain dead it the nerve pain meds I tel you LOL

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What do you keep ? I found out long ago as kid working on a family farm there is not animal man has ever took from the wild and did not improve the food . Like the Salmon and all the shrimp farms they feed them dry pellets foods . Like Dogs would eat meat daily but all they get in dry food some are better then others .. Like a race horse would never be allow to simply graze on grass .. they get a special man developed diet. Its healthier.. from Pigs to goats. Man made foods grow the better and healthier specimens .

I feed corals a special powdered blend I though off but thats every several weeks I'll put a dab in .. I have a freezer full of stuff just setting there .. Corals eat flakes also.. :)

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I had recieved an email from a company that escapes me now. It could have been Brightwell Products. Anyway he brought to my attention that I should rinse off all frozen food in a brime net with tap water to expel the nitrates and phosphates from the food and take the temperature of the food down for the fish. Since I have followed that procedure all has been well and my phosphates are 0. Interesting thread.8)