Protein Skimmer vs Filter

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by techno2, Sep 4, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK,
    So I currentlyu have a 46 that has 2 Penguinn 350 HOB filters, no Sump setup. I am reasearching a new design, but in the meantime I wat good water.

I am planning on installing the UV Steralizer,7W JBJ Submariner UV Sterilizer/Clarifier (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > UV Sterilizers > Units > < 8 Watts ) and protein skimmer, and
    Phosphate reactor http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ne__Specialty_Phosphate_Reactors~vendor~.html Yes it will all fit. Except the HOB Skimmer.

Question is,
    Would I be better off replacing one of the Penguinn 350 with the HOB Skimmer?
    AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer

I would end up with,
    1 Penguinn 350
    1 Phosphate Reactor
    1 UV Steralizer
    1 Protein Skimmer

Thoughts ?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

No filter system is going to do what a skimmer will for you.

The Remora is a excellent hang on skimmer.

If you decide to get one, pay the extra few bucks for the one with drain on collection cup.

4. acurnew

acurnew Plankton

Hello Double:
    hope you don't mind me piggy backing but I have the same concern with my 45 bow... I have the same two 350 HBO filters on it with no room for the Aqua C. I like the surface agitation ( oxygen )they produce and along with my power head it creates a nice undertow flo through out the tank... But many state you should have a skimmer... Thanks for the UV info:)

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would definitely invest in the skimmer, as it will afford you better water qualityas opposed to using two Penguin 350's.
    IMO, the cannister/hang on filters are a waste of money with regards to saltwater!!! Freshwater is a different story...Then cannister filters are a great idea!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

And don't pinch pennies when you are getting your skimmer, you will only spend more in the long run if you get a cheap one. I had a Remora on my 55g but I hung it in the sump, good skimmer for the size and money.

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yes.i would sacrifice one of the filters for a skimmer.filters and skimmers filter 2 different types or waste so you need both,but you only need one cup of carbon per 55 gallons so the loss of one of the filters will be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

In Salt water a filter is really unnecessary. I will assume you have Live rock in the tank. That is your filter.
    UVs are also not really necessary Many people use them and like them but you are killing all the good bacteria along with the bad.
    I would really get a good skimmer, skip the filters all together. If you really want a UV than OK. As for the Phosphate reactor they also are great at housing carbon or any other media that you might want in the future. I would get the 2little fishes Phosban reactor it's a great little fluidized filter unit.
    I run carbon in mine

J

10. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

I have a Nano - it has 3 rear compartments (if you will). The intake area has this gigantic square sponge, the middle section has bio balls, those ceramic rings (don't even know what they're for), and a bag of really expensive carbon; the third section houses the small pump that pumps the water back into the tank (and that's where my heater is, as well). I've been thinking about getting rid of the sponge and replacing it with a skimmer - there's quite a few out there to choose from that have been designed for the Nanos. Oh, and I do have live rock and sand.

What's the general consensus?

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Sounds like my nano, which has only been running for a couple of months now.

Get rid of sponge, ceramic rings & bio balls.

Replaced with a poly-filter.

Did not feel was getting enough flow with original pump, so added a small hangon filter I had laying about.

Any carbon will do...just get a media bag and use it...cheap.

Nano looking and acting great.

(and I do a weekly water change - couple of gallons)

Let LR and sand to their job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]