Protein Skimmer Filling up..... ?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Hoopastank, Jul 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

HI Guys,

I have a mini protein skimmer in my BioCube. The cycle has been going for about 2 weeks now, and nothing has changed as far as the levels are concerned. I know that it can take a while. My question is the protein skimmer i have is an aquatic life mini protein skimmer, and it fills up with water sometimes twice a day. Is this normal? I got the tank from my brother in law, who helped me set it up. I found last night that he had left some media in the basket that was full of nasty stuff! I removed it and but some brand new stuff in (blue and white foam stuff, dont know the name). Will this help the cycle get underway? The protein skimmer is sitting in the water just where just the cup is out, is this the right level?

I really appreciate the help from everyone! as i am still a noob!....lol

Thanks,,

Joe

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I don't think that's a very good skimmer, first of all.

Second, it's not at the right height of its filling up with water twice a day. Ideally you want it pulling nasty brown gunk to tea colored liquid. Most people clean the cups and skimmer out weekly/biweekly.

Simply move the skimmer to sit higher up, or adjust the air intake. A good starting point is to take the cup off, and have the bubbles come up to the top of the neck without bubbling over. You can adjust further from there depending if you want more wet or dry skimming.

DSC reef and Swisswiss like this.
  4. Hoopastank

Thanks! What skimmer do you suggest?

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I absolutely loved my eshopps nano skimmer. I ran one in a biocube 14. Retails for around $110. Others will suggest a tunze or some other nano skimmer. Generally, most of them in the $100 price range will do fine.

Check out marinedepot.com for nano skimmers (and just about everything else you could need)

DSC reef, mdbostwick and NU-2reef like this.
  6. Hoopastank

Thanks again for the advice. I will do just that!!!

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

tunze fan here (have a reefpack 505), though i never used the nano one..... it does look slick though and i cant imagine it being a low quality product.

can you regulate "foam production" on your current skimmer? sounds like youre skimming ultra wet, hence why your cup gets filled up so quickly...

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

btw you want to look into the new line (9001 or 9004) not the older versions.