Protein skimmer during cycle?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nightster, Oct 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Should I run my skimmer during my cycle? I'm going to start my cycle in probably 2 weeks just curious if I should or not.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

There is nothing in there to skim. "I" always wait until about 6 months after the system is running to start the skimmer. You will be removing spores that are essential for Coraline growth.

You will receive all kinds of advice on this. That is why I put quotes around "I".

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

for me it depends on the method I choose to start my tank and my cycling method

if I go base rock, dry sand, and Damsel, which I have done often, I would not skim

if I go live rock / uncured, which I have done this time around then I did add skimmer early and also leave lights off
    I get plenty of pea green skimmate when I did it this way

Steve

5. nightster

Well I will definitely leave my lights off, mainly I was just wondering if I could start my cycle before I order my skimmer. I was thinking about going with a marineland marine pro 100.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Yes you can, IME

Steve

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you currently have water in the tank, then your cycle has already begun. The only reason I see of the running the skimmer is to allow it to break in while the tank is cycling. Over all it is not really going to make a difference if you run during the cycle or after the cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. nightster

I don't have water in it yet, well not a lot. I have my live sand then an inch of water on top to keep it from drying out...

10. DarkHorseMBA

DarkHorseMBA Flamingo Tongue

Hi, jumping I here.

Cycling with dry rock, I can understand why the skimmer should be off, but the lights off? Im starting a tank this Saturday, was planning on just using regular compact fluorescent light during cycle. My thinking is that the light would help beneficial algae growth.

11. nightster

Well I just found out about the tunze 9002, think I'm gonna go with that skimmer actually...

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

IMO that is one of the best smaller skimmers on the market. Tunze has been making skimmer for along long time and the quailty and workmenship shows.