Protein skimmer cup filling with water (HELP!!!)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sharkyshark, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

So we turned on our skimmer (AquaMedic Turbofloater Multi SL with Ocean runner 2500ph pump, modified om1700) and the cup is filling with water, foaming, but filling with water non the less. please help!

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Are you able to adjust your water level within the skimmer? Usually you can raise it to wet skim and lower it to have more of a dry skimate.

4. sharkyshark

are those the knobs on top of the skimmer? like by where the water comes out? or are those on the pump itself?

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

They wouldn't be on the pump. Im not sure after that though. I use an AquaC remora which operates differently than most other skimmers.

6. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Im not sure on that specific skimmer, but usually overflowing means the water level inside the skimmer is too high. Start messing with the knobs too see if the water inside the skimmer decreases.

**Edit**

Got this from the manual

Adjustments: Due to the construction, air and water mixing is automatic, but you
    can increase the amount of air and water by removing the grey reduction piece from
    the suction side of the pump. Normally no adjustment is required but it may be
    necessary to alter the flow control taps (8) to ensure overpumping does not occur
    particularly in the start up phase. If still an overflow occurs use the 5-cm elongation
    between foam cup and skimmer body.

Here is the manual just in case you don't have it.
    Manual

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

In my Octopus skimmer you can not change the water level, but you can change the collection cup level. So in my case, when that was happening, I raised the cup.

You want the bubbles to break (i.e. the top of the bubbles) to be just touching the bottom of the cup.

Either by changing water or cup level.

8. Click Here!

9. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I don't know how your skimmer is but mine they have knobs that reduce flow or increase flow this on mine is by the output of skimmer if you increase flow it will drop level inside skimmer and then it won't over flow your cup. After some time and some waste removel you will have to decrese flow to get bubbles to break closer to the cup.

10. sharkyshark

Thank you guys. The bf wants to get a ball valve but I will try what you've suggested. :eek:)

Posted via Mobile Device:
    BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Um no ball valve. No no no. :D

Is the skimmer new? If so, it may be in the "break in" stage. I would let it run by itself for 48-72 hours and see how it is after that. Most skimmers have to go through a break in of some sort.

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Agreed. you might just have to keep emptying cup also.