Pros and Cons - 90 gal vs. 75 gal.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by karcury, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karcury

karcury Astrea Snail

I need some educated input. We are considering moving up from our 55 gal. tank to a larger one and are not sure if we are better going to a 75 gal. or a 90 gal. We are looking at the same footprint, so the 90 is about 4" taller. We do not want to have to buy additional lighting at this time; we are running T6 (yes, really, T6) two atinic, two blue and moonlights. Mostly have soft corals in the tank with the exception of a montipora.

Looking for the pros and cons for both. Currently have an opportunity to purchase a 90 gal w/overflow, tank only, for $100 or 75 gal. w/overflow, stand and canopy for $225. Cost isn't the main concern here, but overall satisfaction with the final set up is!

Is bigger always better? ;D

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The more water volume the better. But as you get past the 180g mark then things change and it get more expensive. I would go with the 90g if you can.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I would say that it depends on how high your base is also. If it's too high, then when it comes time to have to reach down in there, those extra 4" on the 90 can prevent you from reaching the bottom if the base.

5. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Bigger size gives you more choice of fish, so size does matter. However the more important choice may be how it fits in the room. Will it be overpowering?

With regard to reaching the bottom. I wouldn't worry about that. I have a 150 gallon and there are plenty of ways to reach the bottom using tongs, extensions, long handle brushes, etc.

6. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

If space is'nt the issue go with the 90, you can keep more fish,corals, ect. The equipment you'll need will most likely be close in price for either tank, if not the same.

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd go with the 90, it's what I have, I had a 75 gallon, set it up in the room and didnt like it, just doesn't look any bigger than a 55 gallon, the 90 has a great perspective in the room, I think their probably the most popular size on this site, lots of people have them

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

take it from me size does matter:eek: You are upgrading already from a 55g to a bigger tank...trust me it will not be long until you are ready for the next size up if you are like me! When you get that tank you think...awww there is no way I will ever want anything bigger then this..well trust me you will. I have gone from a 29g to a 135g in a matter of a year and half. I am in the process of setting up my 5th tank right now..a 72g bow front....:confused: so I have it BAD!

But you do want to consider equipment difference between a 75g and a 90g...most equipment is rated to cover upto 100g or upto 50g or things like that, but you might want to go up a size if you go with the 90g just to ensure better flow and effieciency. It will save you more money in the long run if you place the best equipment now...though I tend to go a little overboard...my skimmer that I bought for my 72g is rated for a 125g reef tank and is going for a 72g FOWLR..but it is going to have a puffer which is a messy eater...

good luck and enjoy the maddness;)

10. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

75 and 90 are so similar that you might as well just go with the bigger one. Cost of set up is almost the same because most of the equipment covers a 90 gallon too. Then again the reason I wanted a 75 gal was because the only difference is that its shorter which I consider an advantage if you want a reef. Just something to think about.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I say go with the 90, if your gonna upgrade - whats the point in upgrading just 20 gallons!

12. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Exactly!

I'm not even stocking my 90g yet cause it's still cycling and I'm already planning my next upgade lol