Proposed Fish To Add

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by SuperScro, May 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

My tank is currently empty, and I did a big clean-up on my tank to prepare for more fish and corals. I dropped my nitrates to 10, netted out all this gunk that was at the bottom of my tank, cleaned algae off the class, and cleaned my equipment. My tank looks pretty clean, so once I get my macros and drop my nitrates a little more I will add my fish and corals.

The fish I really want is a Flasher Wrasse. I was suggested these fish were great for reef's and small tanks, but WWM didn't really give me an answer on how it would do in my tank. I checked the FAQs and didn't find the info I needed. Also, I am considering a Bangaii cardinal, a firefish, or a Cherub angel.

I am very strict about adding a fish now until I am positive I can care for it properly and it will work in my system.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am note quite sure what you are referring to by macros, But Just make sure all your parameters are in check. IE PH, ammonia, nitrites, Nitrates, Etc.
    Any additions in the line of fish just go very slowly and do all the research on your new additions before adding them to your system. If you are planning on a reef system make sure your livestock is reef safe, Cherub angles are a crap shoot in a reef system, Some will be little Angles::) and some will nip at your corals and also clam mantles. So just go slow and reserch, reserch,reserch before you add anything to your tank.

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

The flasher wrasses can get pretty big, so I'd get one from your LFS just to be sure you can have it for more than a year. They also are notorious for jumping.

^Firefish are in the same jumping boat 9x out of 10.

I'd say the flahser and firefish would be great :)

WWM is helpful, but I hate the way their site is setup....and if you don't get Anthony Calfo there isn't much help. it seems like Rob Fenner is fed up with answering questions :p

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I agree with fletch and beleive everythign else you picked out will do well in a 36 gal bow tank.

6. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

By macros I meant live macro algaes such as chaeto. It will go into my tank until i get to my DIY refugium.

How big do the flashers get?

Thanks for the quick responses.

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Beautiful fish the flasher wrasses. Depending upon the type of flasher, they get 3-4". But beware, they are jumpers and you will need an eggcrate over the top of the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Be careful putting macro algae directly into your main tank as some will take hold and be next to imposable to to get control of.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Flasher and Fairy Wrasses are ideal for a reef tank!!! Many don't get bigger than 6"!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+2 I would never add macros to a display tank. Also, if this is a new tank and you plan on setting up a fuge, the macros won't have enough to "eat" yet and might end up dying on you.

1 person likes this.
  12. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

^^^ karma

My first cheato ball died because of low bioload (goby at the time).