Proposed Ban on 83 Sps Corals

Discussion in 'Frags' started by reef goddess, Mar 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

2. Click Here!

3. reef goddess

reef goddess 3reef Sponsor

Example letter commenting on the proposed legislation:

"As a responsible hobbyist benefiting from the free sale and trade of many of the listed species of corals, I do not agree with the conclusions of, and therefore do not support this legislation. I do not believe an adequate assessment of all short and long term affects on both immediate and contingent parties has been performed, including the species of coral themselves, any party involved in the growth, sale, and trade of such species, and any party connected to the coral trade industry, and therefore until such an assessment can be made, I would like to see this Act tabled. Should the legislation move forward, I feel that maricultured and aquacultured corals of the species listed in the legislation should be exempt from restriction as corals produced by those methods do not affect wild populations, and in fact stand to bolster wild populations through reef repair efforts."

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I agree with the general premise of saving wildlife, but when the hobby centers around creating more of said wildlife, there should be a "no-collection" type of rule that wouldn't kill the hobby, just wild collection.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Actually just that article is new, the issue itself has been on the book and reported since last October :) I heard about it a few months prior via inside sources since I tend to stay up on items that effect my hobby and livelihood.

Feb 17, 2010 80 Species of stony corals could be added to Endagered Species list

Oct 20, 2009 Protection Sought for 83 Coral Species as Coral Heads for Worldwide Extinction

Nov 04, 2009 Petition targets 83 coral species for U.S. endangered species list protection

fEB 12, 2010 Petition to List 83 Species of Corals as Threatened/Endanger : The Industry Behind the Hobby

CORAL actually put it in a previous newsletter as well...

Feb 16, 2010 U.S. Considers Endangered Species Protection for 82 Stony Coral Species | Coral Magazine

I have to disagree with what CORAL posted though. NOAA is looking for scientific data, not hobbyist opinions.

Here is what NOAA stated they are looking for on the CORAL-list serve:

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The US taking such an action (banning wild) will only result with MORE pressure on the reefs as the fisherman have to make a living some other way. They get more money from the trade and put less pressure on true key components of the reef as a result of it. If they have to resort back to subsistence fishing far more species of fish will be targeted. many island nations use more "live rock" in one year of building then the trade has ever collected. Ditto with live corals.

I think it's a very poor idea on many levels. The US is NOT the world police despite many thinking it is.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Maybe get the people farming the reefs some electricity and frag tanks so they don't have to dive?

Also, the US isn't the world police. It's the leader of the "world police" because of our history, a.k.a. our beatdown, military, economic and political, of the last few nations that tried to go it solo at being world police, and our willingness to work with everyone else.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Electricity is not world wide. Many of these fisherman do not have power, running water, etc. They are very poor. many are farming, but farmed would be banned under the current proposal... listed on the ESL.

Um how is banning wild stuff considered "our willingness to work with everyone else"? This will effect many nations in a bad way and I highly doubt they want the US to take such an action. In fact I know a few countries that have all ready voiced their opposition to the US deciding for them. We have CITES for this very purpose. I could actually cite dozens of cases but politics are not allowed to be discussed so let's leave it at that ;)