Propagating Colt

Discussion in 'Frags' started by rickzter, Jan 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, I stopped by this LFS that I regularly shop at on Saturday and they had this nice little colt for sale - $12.00 bucks! It was a very nice size since I was looking for a rather small frag of colt. When fully extended and out, measured about 4 1/2 inches and had 4 branches.

Well, I told the guy I'd take it, it was already attached to a large rock. Since the rock was large and it was 12 bucks for the colt, he proceeded to remove it gently with his nail, came off ok.

Anyway, I was reading up on propagating and fragging colt, well... it sucks! Colt is very difficult to frag. Tried glue, rubber bands with pick and nothing works. There is another method of sticking a plastic toothpick and then gluing but dont want to hurt it. I got tired of all the attempts and decided to get a small rock, place him and put two rubber bands to firmly hold him down. So far, so good. He is all the way in and mucosy, but he's being firmly held onto the rock.

My question is, will this hurt the colt? And how many days will it take for it to take to the rock? I want to keep the colt and frag it myself, but if this fails, I may take it back to the LFS I bought it from. I really want to keep it, any advice!?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Getting colts to attach is difficult as you have noted. One of the things I've used successfully is to take two fairly flat pieces of LR, make a "V" with them and then put the colt's base into the "V" and rubberband it all together. I've also shoved plastic toothpics through the base and put rubberbands on it to help keep the base in the "V".

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

The 2 rocks and rubber bands is the "preferred" method mentioned in one of my books.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Inwall, how long before the colt attached? You know?

I dont have good LR to perform that type of propagation, but will leave him alone and post an update in a couple of days.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's been a while so I'm taking a guess here. I would say around two weeks but could have been as much as three. All I can remember is that it took a LOT longer than most other corals I've fragged.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well, it didn't work. Maybe I didn't allow as much time, but I really think the colt was kicking the bucket anyway. At the end, he ended up being a small brown loogie.

Lesson learned, when buying colt, buy it with the piece of rock it's attached to. Thanks guys for the input.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmmm, toothpicks did not work? u can try to place it inbetween alot of little rock and it will attatch to one of them evntually