product review - Preis easy glue

Discussion in 'Frags' started by steve wright, May 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I am not sure how availability is for this product, where you are located
    but if you do frag corals or if you purchase coral frags and want an effective and convienient method of securing those frags to your reef
    then the Preis Aquaristik easy glue - 2 part system is certainly worth considering

images 1st

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok now for some words

the product comes in 2 tubs, both of these have the consistency of firm ice cream = no more aching fingers associated with standard 2 part putty systems

there are 2 spoons marked so that no cross contamination occurs

this product is so soft it takes less than 30 seconds to combine
    the product leaves no residue on the hands - unlike many other 2 part epoxy systems

this product sets rock solid in 2 minutes - yes 2 mintues from firm ice cream to small rock

thus if you do find this and decide to use it, make enough putty for 1 frag at a time

other benefits

unless I used the putty/ superglue combo- I was often having to re locate frags that toppled over using just the normal putty products - activity of snails or hermits or in some case areas of high flow, have proven enough to topple any frag I had just used putty on , placed on any angled surface

with this product , you locate, hold for 2 minutes and its solid as a rock

this product has not affected skimmer performance - used it twice already with no skimmer reaction noted

this product is definitely - coral locating made easy IMHO

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Interesting! Sounds like I'm gonna have to find this stuff if I can!

I just have a couple questions about it. Did you feel it to see if it gives off a large amount of heat? If it does, is it more or less than a 2-part stick?

Also, is there any way you can check for a localized pH shift, and see how severe it is?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thanks Steve,

I will definitely have to look around and see if it's available.

Sounds like a much easier and cleaner product to use than the epoxy.

Your write is so complete, the only question I have is does it come in different colors?

Cheryl

5. steve wright

Thanks blackraven
    no heat at all, that combined with ease of use, and the fact nothing gets deposited on the hands means I would be happy to let my son who is 3, help me make this putty and with this putty unlike my previous brands of choice, he certainly would have no problems mixing it.

I can certainly make a marble sized ball and add it to a cup of tank water and see if there are any effects on PH for you. give me half an hour to let it soak a while

Thanks Corailline
    it is available in a purple option accrding the the Preis web site
    I only saw the version I got, but would certainly have opted for the purple had it been there.

Steve

6. blackraven1425

Well then, since there's no heat (unlike normal putty), and if the pH turns out to be stable, I'd absolutely use this stuff all the time! I'd use it right up on the bottom of frags without worrying about it killing tissue other than the little bit that gets covered by the putty!

7. steve wright

Hey Blackraven
    I took a small piece, and approx 200 mils of tank water
    I molded the putty with my hand in the bowl under water to represent what would occur in the tank when locating frags

I tested water with a Red Sea Ph test kit- at approx 8.3 before and then after 40 minutes allowing the putty to set and go hard
    before performing second test, bowl of water was swirled in order to ensure water tested was representative of water in the bowl

no measurable effect = using a red sea test kit

thus IMHO the effects of a small qty of this putty, in a much larger amount of water, would have no effect on tanks PH
    Steve

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Wow, that's incredible! The normal putty is worse in literally every respect compared to this stuff! I've gotta find some before I place all those frags now. Thanks for doing the test!

10. steve wright

Welcome blackraven

Hope you can locate it, because having previously used D and D Geisseman purple putty and also Aquamedics slate coloured option
    I can honestly say that the above 2 products are not in the same league as the Preis product I recently switched to

I had no idea it would be better
    and I would not have imagined how much better it was possible for a product performing a similar function to actually be

just remember - curing time to rock solid is 2 minutes
    so dont make enough putty for 3 frags or you will get 2 done, before the balance is rock solid

yes I do know this from personal experience LOL

11. agv180

agv180 Astrea Snail

where buy this product?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great write up Steve! Sounds like a nice product. 2 minute hold time is amazing.