(product) Red Slime Control?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by greysoul, Jul 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

So I am in my next phase of cyano murder.

I have a product called Red Slime Control from Blue Life / Blue Vet Rx. It was one of many the LFS told me were all pretty much the same, and from what I can tell they're all fine milled white powder with a slight medicinal scent and the same dosing instructions...so I am using that.

Dosed this AM by the directions, I did 6 scoops of the powder in a cup of water, dissolved it, added to tank, turned off the skimmer....

Everything looks fine so far, but it said it can alter pH and O2 levels. Is this something I need to correct for right away, or watch and wait? My pH hasn't changed, but the skimmer is off.... should I add an air stone or will the flow down the over flow and into the sump aerate the water enough?

Also, should I run my phosban reactor w/ purigen or no? Any advice would be great. I dont really have an ammonia problem anyways, but figure if it's safe to run I would, as I'm sure there are red slime spores in the reactors. I guess i will nuke my PS seprately...

-Doug

2. Click Here!

3. EGREENE

EGREENE Flamingo Tongue

bump? i have the same question.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The over flow into the sump if you have a sump like the Mega flow series where water is forced from the bottom of the back chamber then up and over (cascade) to the bio balls or live rock rubble. If not, open flow to a sock, then add a good sized air stone to assure adequate O2. I left my phosphate reactor running when I used Chemiclean and it still worked fine.

1 person likes this.
  5. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I believe when ever you use any products like red slime control you are supposed to do a 20% water change within 24 hours of dosing. I almost bought some of that same stuff today, but I decided to get a phosban reactor instead. lol I am going to give the reactor a few weeks but if that doesnt work I will be checking back to see how well this stuff worked for you.

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

25% after 5 days on this one. My normal WC is 25% every 10-14 days, so no biggie there

7. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I'm following this thread. Have been battling a cyano outbreak for a few weeks. I tried cutting the lights for a few days and just made the corals mad. I've been manually removing it as much as possible with a siphon during weekly water changes (10%). I'm going to give it a little bit more time. I also changed the PhosBan in my reactor. The one thing that really seemed to make a difference was changing to feeding every other day. I know I overfeed - the fish don't tell me when they're full and I want everybody in the tank to be happy. ;D

Please keep posting about your results!

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Over feeding was the reason for my lovely thick purple carpet at the bottom of my tank & in the end spread all over everything! I was feeding every day then swiched to every 3 days & all good. On the odd accation ive felt bad & feed every otherday & the cyano creeps back so im sticking to every 3 days!

Its really amazing what a little to much food will grow!
    I had cyano sooooooo bad i tried the cutting lights but it just grew back within half a day.
    I tried adding more flow but it just kept the spot clean that my tunze was aimed at!
    In the end i did a filter & skimmer clean with tank water ( they were clog free!) & used a product called Antired red slime remover which took 2 treatments with alot off cyphoning off the dead cyno in order not to pollute my tank & with the feeding every 3 days i was sorted! been clear for 6 months now...............Yay!;D

Here is a picture to make you feel better!

Attached Files:

10. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

So I got a little impatient and bought red slime control by blue vet and believe me when I say that this stuff works extremely well. My whole sand bed and most of my rocks where covered in cyano. I have been battling it for weeks. I even went out and bought a phosban reactor. The phosban reactor has been running since saturday and seemed to slow it down but not take it out. So I went with the red slime romover and 2 days later my cyano is all but gone. I will give it another day and then do a 25% water change. So far I havent seen anything negitave accept a slight increase in the PH at night but all my fish and corals are doing fine. Probably even better now that they arnt being choked by cyano.

11. LrgTime

LrgTime Astrea Snail

Ive used a product i think called the same thing, the LFS just gave me the needed dose and told me to dose after my water change, i would say within 24hours ALL my red slime was gone. There has been no more outbreaks of cyano since the dosing, if this is the same product they gave me (small blue box, yellow powder) use this to get rid of your red slime TODAY.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I run an airstone 24/7 anyhow so I would definitely add one if I was you. I would also not run any kind of Purigen or carbon as it can take the "medication" out of the water if I'm not mistaken. Be prepared for your skimmer to go nuts when you turn it back on.