problems with algse

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mac77, Apr 17, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mac77

mac77 Plankton

I need help in dealing with algae. The algae in my tank is not going away for nothing. I have a 75 gallon tank. Water parameters are fine, ammonia is zero, nitrate, nitrite and phosphates are also zero. My lights stay on for 8 hours a day, they are 270 watts. I had put snail, turbo snails, blue leg hermits crabs two sand sniffing star fish, but the algae still there. I would like somebody to recommend me something to do with this problems. The agae is green , brown, and some is red. I think some of it is the hairy alge. I change my water like every month, 30% of it each time. I had put like 40 snails at one time, like 30 hermits crabs, is this enough?
    I would apreciate any help you might give me.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

How long has your tank been set up?

How old are your lights?

Are you running a protein skimmer?

What are you using for filtration?

4. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

What water do you use for changes....RO/DI - Tap?

5. mac77

mac77 Plankton

My lights are 6 months old, basically new. I have a wet and dry filter, l also I have a protein skimmer, that is also less than a year old. I bought this tank already mature, its at least 5 years old, I think it is older.
    I use reverse osmosis water all the time, so I dont dont know what I may be doing wrong or not enough.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Where is the algae mainly growing? On the sand, glass, rocks or all of those places?

John

7. mac77

mac77 Plankton

The algae is growing on the glass, on the live rocks, on the crushed coral ( the sand ), also on the rocks I have green bubbles, and even on top of these bubbles there is algae on top. The gravel is full of brown and green algae. How can I stop or at least have this algea under control?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, from my experience, once you have eliminated the nutrient source you then need to attack the algae physically. As a test I would scrub a few square inches of rock with an old toothbrush, leave it for a week and see what grows back.

With the algae on the rocks, can you see if the same algae growing on the under surface of the rocks?

If the scrubbing is successful you will soon see some ( probably green ) coraline growing, which is a good indicator to attack the rest. Just don't do it all at once, and make sure that your Alk and Calc levels are good.

John

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Just one other thing, if have zero readings for Nitrates and Phosphates then stop doing water changes. :) It could very well be this activity that is causing the problem.

However if you insist on doing changes than at least reduce the quantity as 30% is a lot of water the change at one time.

John

11. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Are your test kits accurate? Bring in a water sample and have your phosphates and nitrates rechecked against your test kits. Try leaving the lights on for shorter periods of time.

12. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I agree with getting your water tested by an outside source.

A few others thing to consider that werent mentioned: What is the bioload like in your tank (how many fish)? How often and how much are you feeding? Is there any direct sunlight on the tank at any part of the day?