Problems, cloudy water, overdose ahhh

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kstafford003, Jul 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Ok so I am asking for help since I am clueless.

I'm sorry for the long post but I think the information is important.

5 days ago I realized I might be dosing the tank in a low flow area since I was seeing precipitation near where I was dosing. I started dosing in a higher flow area which made heck of a difference. I took the dKH from 9.5 to 10.5 in one day. The next day the entire tank was cloudy I assumed from the water being out of balance. So I did a 20% water change and stopped dosing. 2 days later the tank cleared up and I thought everything would be a ok. I started feeding the corals amino acids again at that point. 2 days ago the GFO reactor broke and I thought I was in trouble. Yesterday I checked PO4 and it was at zero. So freaking out about a GFO overdose (I used 5 tbl for 18 gal system volume) I started feeding more amino acids 2 ml Red Sea reef energy. Today I come home from work and the tank is cloudy again and has this goupy gelatin stuff floating around the tank. There are also strings of stuff all over the tank. I tested the levels and I have this:
    Mg-1320
    Alk-8.8
    Cal-420
    No3-0
    Po4-0

Could this be a bacteria outbreak from feeding too much reef energy after zeroing phosphates?? I'm lost. I have a new reactor coming in tomorrow and I plan on running 1 tbl of GFO from now on. Here are a few pictures of the problem areas.

Thanks guys in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Pics aren't showing. Sounds like a bacteria bloom to me. Shouldn't have anything thing to do with alk or gfo. I would stop the amino acids and if you want to use them once a week is plenty. Post a thread to Dr Tim as he has great bacteria supplements to help your problem. For now keep params stable and no aminos.

Billme likes this.
  4. kstafford003

Pics aren't uploading due to internet being slow. I'll post then up a little later tonight when Internet is better. Ok thanks I'll check that product out.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Your water chemistry, the big 3, looks great to me. I can't imagine the GFO doing anything. Sounds like a bacteria bloom.

Do you dose a carbon source?

6. kstafford003

Ok so here are the pics.

Attached Files:

7. kstafford003

I stopped dosing carbon a few months back when I started getting cyano. I switched to the GFO reactor because I read dosing carbon would kill the chaeto and that would feed the cyano phosphates.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

can you get better close up pics? I'm having a little trouble seeing detail.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've never had a problem with carbon dosing and growing cheato. I've been running bio pellets by Dr Tim and using the waste away and my cyano is gone. You have a bacterial imbalance and once it's in check you'll be fine.

11. kstafford003

I know the pictures suck. Unfortunately my iphone takes better pics than my camera and the blue on the pictures is always way over exposed. Basically the stringy things i was trying to take a picture of look like maybe they just captured some of the gunk floating around. The gunk all looks like the first picture. I had less gunk in the fuge today so maybe it is starting to clear up?

I also checked out Dr. Tim's bacteria.
    http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/probiotic-bacteria
    Should I be adding this?

12. kstafford003

Here is another good example.

Attached Files: