Problem with set up

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by merr3129, May 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. merr3129

merr3129 Plankton

Hello,

I recently purchased and wired up the 12 led actinic constant current set from rapidled:

12 LED Actinic Supplement Kit - Rapid LED

When I finished wiring everything, and plugged it in, the lights worked fine. Then I hang them over the tank and plugged them back in and they worked for about 30 seconds and stopped. I tested the connections on both sides of the driver and get power so i don't think it is the driver. When I try to test the leds I get 0V for all of them.

Any ideas on how I could test and what may be wrong?

Thanks,
    David

2. Click Here!

3. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

If you're getting 0 at the very first LED then that is at least where the problem starts. I assume you've wired these in Series meaning positive to negative to positive to negative and so on. Check for voltage at the positive wire connecting to the first LED, if no juice, i'd replace the wire. second thing i'd do is make sure you're not accidentally grounding that first LED. If you used screws, you could have inadvertently made contact with one of the electrical contacts on the star. Try using insulating washers if this turns out to be the case. Please note: i'm not a Rapidled dude or an electrician by any means... just know enough to be dangerous :)

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

5. merr3129

merr3129 Plankton

Sorry, with mothers day yesterday, I didn't get to work on them. I will try tonight and let you know. Thanks for the help so far.

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

If you can, please send us some pictures of the LEDs (as close as you can while still being clear), we'll see if we spot anything out of the ordinary. Our email is [email protected]. Thanks!

7. merr3129

merr3129 Plankton

I got it working. There were 3 bad LED's. This was my first time soldering so I think I damaged them because they all worked fine with the battery test.

Now I have 12 white, 21 blue and 4 moon lights. It looks really good, I would just like to add some UV lights now.

8. Click Here!

9. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Nice! Glad it was just 3 LEDs and not the whole string.