Problem with my Tang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Jim_Barry, Nov 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

I have a Carribean Tang that I have had for about 3 weeks. It is eating well but has developed several brown patches (look like bruises) on it's body. I do not know what this is or what to do. The fish appears heathy other than that. The other 4 fish in my 120 gallon tank are doing fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Jim,

While I do some researching, can you give me your tank set-up along with a list of inhabitants and the time your tank has been running. In addition, please provide your latest water parameters you have tested for ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, temp, and specific gravity.

If you include your tank set-up in your signature it will make things easier to respond to in the future. Thanks.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Does this sound close to what you are describing?

[red]Marine Velvet:
    A parasitic disease which symptoms are similar to that of marine Ick.  Caused by the parasite Amyloodinium Ocellateum.  The infected have sandpaper-like skin, with small gold/brown spots covering the body.   Fish are often found scratching their bodies against various objects trying to remove the parasites.  Treat with a parasitic medication, and/or perform a freshwater dip for 3 to 10 minutes.[/red]

A picture would be a huge benefit!

5. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Thanks Craig,

Attached is a picture of the Tang. It does scratch against the sand from time to time, suggesting it might be a parasite. My tank set up makes it very difficult to catch the fish to do a freshwater dip. Can I add medication into the tank without harming the other fish and corals? Do you know what medication I need for this?

I have a 120 gallon tank, with 2-175w 6500k metal halides and 2-4' vho actinics, wet/dry filter, berlin protein skimmer, 120 lbs of live rock, 2" sand, 1200 gph pump, 8 corals and a fairy wrasse, saiffin tang, tomato clown with anenamae, and algae blenny.

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 0
    Calcium - 440
    salinity - 1.022
    Ph - 8.4
    temp 78-81

6. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

here is the photo

Attached Files:

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Jim, In the past I have used several products that are reef safe such as "Kick-Ick" Or
    Rally
    A COPPER FREE water treatment for any tropical or marine aquarium.
    For fish that show signs of oodinia, flukes, and/or bacterial infections (fin, rot, etc.). Safe for all plants, invertebrates and corals.
    I have found them moderately effective, but it was not until I was able to get the fish out that I was able to rid the fish once and for all of the problem. I understand the challenges of getting a fish out of a reef thank, but would recommend you try.

8. Click Here!

9. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Craig..... One more thing... my tank has been running for only 8 weeks.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This fish is very sick.
    The body shape is sucked inwards and lateral line protruding.
    I would suggest a fish trap and know reef lady has made some great home made traps that you can try.

I did a close up of the fish and my looking at it it will not be long until it passes if something is not done soon.

If you can't get a trap do you have any large buckets you use for water changes etc?
    If you do put some tank water in them and start taking items out and put them in the tubs. It would be best for the fish if you don't net him and use a clear container that he can swim into.
    Do you have a smaller tank you can QT him for awhile?

Also when was the last water change? and do you use RO/DI water? If you don't can you get some for the QT tank?

I hope for the best. ;D
    Dave

Attached Files:

11. Jim_Barry

Jim_Barry Astrea Snail

Thanks for your feedback...

I have been watching him closely for a few days now. His appetite is excellent and I have increased the feeding times to 4 times per day and fortified the brine shrimp with vitamens to try to fatten him up. The patches have been increasing slightly and have a peppery look within the dark patches. Over all, although a bit thin, this fish is quite active.

I use RO water and do 15 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. I do not have a quarantine tank to put this fish into and would like to treat (whatever this is) in the main tank. The LFS suggested that unless I can quarantine this fish I shouldn't treat in the main tank as I run the risk of killing the corals. I have tried to catch this fish in the past and with the layout of my tank, it has been impossible.

Any suggestions, on what this might be and can I treat it in the main tank and not hurt the corals?

Dave, after your comments above, I was quite concerned that I was losing this fish. What confuses me is strong appetite and activeness of this fish. Can this condition cure itself or does it have to have medication in order to keep the fish alive?

Thanks for your help.....

Jim

12. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

Try OSI Spuralina pellets. I used to have tangs that would get too thin, but with these pellets.. thay are nice, fat and healthy.