Problem with Leather and Colt

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ksuyen, Feb 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ksuyen

ksuyen Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have Leather and Colt corals for 3 months on my tank, and they supposedly to be less demanding compare to the other LPS I have. However, as far as I can remember, they never open more than 12 hours in my tank before close up again for 3-4 days.

Lighting: diffused under LED 14,000K
    Position: Leather coral on top by itself, Colt coral on the side 3 inches perimeter there are Zoanthid and Frogspawn
    Flow: Med High on both
    Param: 400 ppm Ca, 1,300 ppm Mg and alkalinity of 7 dKH, 25degC, 0 for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phospate, 1.024(5)

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

First those are both soft corals. Not lps.
    They may be receiving to much light and or flow, move them around if possible and see if they improve. Also the frogspawn could be reaching out at night and hitting the coral.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yep, too much light. Try moving them down to the sandbed.

BTW, how long do you run your lights each day?

5. two-tang clan

two-tang clan Plankton

I had the same thing happen. I moved the leathers away from the frogspawn and they cheered up quite a bit. I imagine you have some chemical warfare going on in your tank at night.

6. ksuyen

ksuyen Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi guys, all good advices.

I have my light on 2x5 hours a day: morning and evening. A little unusual, eh? Probably not a good practice.

What I can do later today (I am at work):
    1. Move the leather to the sand, but still on the bright side.
    2. Move my frogspawn closer to the hammer (I read their toxin chemistry are similar?)

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Leathers in general are a little more light demanding than many think,plus they do like their good flow too,but i'd now say your problem is your lighting schedule,1x 8 to 10 hours is plenty.Two photo periods a day is just messin with them.And yea,move them away from the euphilias

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Also, my Kenya Tree/Colt does not like high flow. Much happier in very low flow. Mine also does not mind high lighting, but at the same time, it will grow in completely shaded areas as well.