problem with finger leather

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Jul 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi All,
    I have a finger leather that I've had for about 5 months now. It seems that it retracts for days at a time and then after a few days it will open up again. Is it just flauthing? How much flow should I be giving it, right now it has pretty decent flow at least enough to move its branches. I just wish it would stay open more often. Oh yeah, I only dose calcium which I keep around 420.

Any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Could be just molting... mine does that every month or so. Mine has medium flow and he seems to be happy. I would consider feeding it though, i use DT phytoplancton.

Marc.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would tone down the flow a bit. Just until the fingers stop being moved by water.

You may want to measure Iodine and Strontium.

When it does extend haw many days does it stay open?

J

5. coraldynamics

coraldynamics Plankton

Also check to see if there is anything near by that might be putting out sweepers at night. Other stuff rubbing up against it during the day will keep it from fully expanding as well.

6. skennelly

I have played around with the flow quite a bit actually and I never see much of a difference. I also use DT's about every 3 days or so. I haven't been dosing Iodine but I intend on testing and dosing if necessary.

Thanks

7. skennelly

Speaking of testing and dosing. Which test kit should I pickup for testing Iodine. I can't really afford Salifort right now. I've used Hagen stuff before and thought it was okay. What's a good one that isn't too expensive say under $20.00

Thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

The leather corals will slough off a waxy looking substance occationally like m_lacom said. If it was doing fine with the current it was getting before I would just leave it where it was. Perhaps adjust the current up a little but all my leathers that have done that have come back into shape after a week or so. It seems that they did this a lot durring the first 7 or 8 months while they were smaller. It hasnt happened in several months.

Jay