Preventing Brown Jelly?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by somethingfishy, Apr 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I just got back from the LFS today with a beautiful piece of branching frogspawn. About 4 hours later I walk over to the tank and one of my peppermints is tearing apart 2 of the 4 heads. This is the first time she has done such a thing. She normally just picks at new speciemens a bit and thats it. Anyway, Is there any preventative measure I should take to ward off brown Jelly?

As soon as I catch that little shrimp she's getting put in the fuge.

This is a pic of one of the attacked branches

[​IMG]

This is of the whole colony

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I had a similar thing happen to my frogspawn. I did a Lugol's Iodine dip. I called for (I think, check the label) 40 drops per gallon of seawater. I cannot recall the time for the dip tho.

Check the directions and I think I cut the dose in half...(I was nervous..hehe) but my frogspawn recovered.:)

Good luck, let me know how you make out.

4. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Do you think it would be better to frag the beatup section and dip only that? I would prefer to keep the coral together as a whole. Should I wait and see if brown jelly forms before I do a dip?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I dipped my whole piece (4 heads). I did end up losing one real bad section but another that was going bad did recover. Try dipping the whole thing and frag off what does not make it afterwards. JMHO!;D