Powerman's 90g thread.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Powerman, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So anything special I have to do to position my clam???

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

My blue maxima I purchased already had the base on it. My golden maxima did not. i would try to position it but would drift on the sand bed. So I replicated what my lfs had done with the other clam.

What I did was took some mighty putty (rip billy mays) Made a flat base and stuck it to the bottom side of the clam. Didnt cover the hole that is at the immediate bottom but had it to where if you stuck the base in the sand the clam was slightly angled to the front of the glass for better viewing. Like I said similar to fake plants how they have a base so they stay in place in freshwater aquariums.

Tip: its tricky to get the clams shell to stick to the mighty putty so I let the mighty putty harden a bit. Then applied super glue gel on the base and then stuck the clam to it. I can try to get some pics of it... But might not be for a couple more days. But if you look at my avatar you will see how they are angled towards the glass. a little bit.

Well Hope this helps you out.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I just stuck my clam on a rock with a ledge (so it wouldn't fall off) and he attached his foot to it. No glue or epoxy. He did seem to rotate a bit on the rock, but once he rotated he hasn't moved since. I gave a gentle tug on the shell and that's how I found he is attached.

5. tatted4ever

i think powerman is putting the clam in his sand bed... No matter if you burry the clam in... its gonna work his way out. That why my lfs had a base on the first clam i purchased... The second one i purchased from somewhere else and it came with out a base. Thats why i put a base on the second one because I couldnt keep him in place.
    But there really is no right or wrong way to this. You can find a small piece of rock and let him attach himself to it... All on personal preference

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The clam was attached to another clam. So they unstuck it and it has a "foot" so to speak. I put it in the sand against a rock, but it moved itself out of it. It was on it's side, but now I put him up buried in the sand.

Doe he want something secure to attach to, or will he be happy in the sand? The flow is not so strong it will move him.

7. tatted4ever

try this.... Find a small piece of rock... 2 inches or so. Postion the clam on that rock where the clam will not move or drift off of it. Let the clam attach to it. When the clam attaches bury it in your sand bed. That should do the trick. Clam should stay in its place.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Had to get some better pics. God I love my tank today!!!

The goby felt like posing, so I had to get him
    [​IMG]

My green mushrooms have never done well. They are really blowing up now. Hopefully they will reproduce soon.
    [​IMG]

Moved my Caulasteras again. They are so big and splitting. Doing well.
    [​IMG]

Look at this fat a$$! Doing much better now the Blenny is gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The prizim is plump. It's feeders are so long at night.
    [​IMG]

The new Caulastera frag. Huge polyps. The Acan next to it took a bit of a turn but is doing OK.Feeds well at night.
    [​IMG]

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Here is my new Clam. Seems to be doing good. Dosing plenty of DT's. Reacts well, open all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I have some rubble to work with.

12. tatted4ever

The new caulastrea frag will be multiplying in no time. Especially with your bad a$$ lights.