Powerman's 90g thread.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Powerman, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

your tank looks great

has come a long way

2. Click Here!

3. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Tank has amazing looks. Just amazing. Love the rockwork and fish choices!

4. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Awesome setup! I love the new aquascaping.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Thanks a bunch guys. I finally got things where I want them. I post things, but sort of got tired of not having a place to talk about my tank. So I decided to catch up.

I appreciate all the kind comments. I am just really love'in my tank right now. My fish look so happy, and I'm ready to focus on coral. I mainly want LPS. Acans, Favias, and candy canes. I'll get some sticks at some point and maybe another brain. Ricordias are cool too. I'm in it for the long haul now.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

wow, that tank looks amazing!! this thread makes me even more scared for the day i get the itch to start trying to keep a few corals. soooo much equipment needed but man, it looks great!

~Will.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I have been trying to keep my chemistry straight. I use BRS 2 part recipe 2. I dose equal parts, but my Ca fell off to 350. I got that back to 450 and bumped up Alk and Mg too. Today they tested 4.5 and 1300.

I had to make a new batch of Ca/Alk. Alk takes 2 cups and it is all that will dissolve in a gallon. Ca can take much more than the 2 cups called for. So I used 3 cups and put the dosing back to the same as Alk. We will see how it goes. I am dosing 180 ml/day and only have a couple of LPS. I have no idea why I need so much.

I decided to put my fuge on 16 hrs. I have had my cheato on 24/7. Plenty of pods and worms. Cheato has about doubled, but that is not a lot. I put a few rocks in to give the pods something to play on. I have several snails that hatched in there that are growing. I don't know what kind they are. My NO3/PO4 are zero, but they were before the fuge too.

I got my third Anthia today so no more of those. I'm probably done for fish. Next I want to get some 14K to replace my 10Ks

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So everyone seems happy. I have actually had time to sit down and chill and watch my tank for a couple of hours. My fish really seem to like the new digs. The Anthias have really seemed to bring everyone out. The yellow tang has seemed a little down without his Scopas tank mate.

[​IMG]

My fuge seems good. I have some worms that went all the way down to the mud. The rock is good cover, and cheato is growing. removed a bit of GHA, but that is about it. Cyano does not seem as bad as it was.

[​IMG]

I'm happiest about my Frog spawn. 4 big heads all diesd when I got it. The only thing left was two baby heads. Now the baby heads are as big as the other were, and there are buds all over it growing well.

[​IMG]

Glad I didn't give up on it. My new Rics seem good. One of my Monti frags won't make it, but the other one seems healthy.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I finally had to give Bulk Reef Supply a call. They told me I was way off. I calcified two pumps. Everytime I would test, something was low, so I would dose more, but basically I was just making a bunch of calcium carbonate. I'm not dosing for 3 days then starting at a safe point.

I always used seachem for Alk which was in meq/l. What is a reasonable number to stay at for Alk in DKH? I want my Ca around 400-420.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So I decided to go to Salifert kits. I tested my Ca and it was a whole 100 points higher than my other kit. (550) No wonder I was calcifying my pumps. I got my Alk to 10.2 DKH, and I'm not dosing calcium till it gets down to 420.

I cleaned up my sand. Blew off my rocks. Changed some water, and cleaned out my sump. Ran carbon and watched all my happy fish.

The big news is my upgrade from 10K 150w MH to 250w Phoenix bulbs with Galaxy ballast. So far they are a bit too blue for my, but they will calm down. The blueness in the pictures is not real accurate. It is much whiter and brighter.

[​IMG]

I was happy the blueness did not wash out the color of my fish. They look great. My new Anthias are very happy and eat well. Best addition to my tank yet. Very active and friendly.

[​IMG]

My Blue Blenny is liking the new bulbs. Gives him camo.

[​IMG]

My Frog spawn is real happy. Has been since the day I added it.

[​IMG]

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I really like the look of your tank. Very nice dude.