powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cira030, Nov 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

can anyone who reads this thread please post a picture of their tank (to show me where your powerheads are placed). i am setting up my powerheads now and it would really help. thanks

ryan

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I don't have any pics at the moment but I have my return in a u shape in the middle, I have a power head on each far side of the tank and three on the back, one on each side of the return and one in the middle of the u, if that makes sense. There is ALOT of flow in my tank. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

4. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Won't help, every tank is different. The shape and size of the tank, rock work, corals will all determine how you set them up. Just play with them till your happy with the flow. For a high velocity pump your best to have it bounce off the glass, for a flow pump(tunze ect) you can point them more at the rocks. you want to create a random diffused flow.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Finding optimum flow should be fairly easy in a 20.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello there young squire, here is my set up.......[​IMG]

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

And here is mine.....I have five sources of flow. One left, one right, one back left, two back right.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Ryan, for a 20 gallon, you could do what i did. I went out and bought 2 sweeping powerheads. I put on in each top corner of the tank with a slight angle downwards. Instead of having a constant strong current in one direction, i get a wavelike pulsing current that the corals, at least most of them like. If i remember correctly, they are Penguin 550's. My tank is a 20tall and not much current is needed. Also, try to direct the powerheads in areas that get a lot of algae bloom. Whether it be rock, glass or sand, try to dictate a stronger water current in those areas.

Hope it helps...
    Good luck.