Powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by TheDuck, Dec 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Ok, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but here we go...

So...From all of the reccomendations I've recieved from everyone here, in order to clear up my new tank, I should have a powerhead. ...and I should have one (at least) anyway for good water circulation. My tank is 29 gallons and the dimensions are 24x19.5x12 (inches). Now, the plan is to have minimal live rock in the tank mostly placed in the back right corner and a nice large piece of brain coral in the back left corner to hide the filter inlet. I'll spare you the small details...

What would be the best placement for a powerhead to get good water movement? As you can see in the pic below, this isn't a very large tank and I'm not sure it can handle two powerheads. Also, are the new heads fully submersible? 10 years ago, that was a no-no...

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Almost all power heads are fully submersible these days. They also come in many different sizes. For your tank size you should be able to fit a few of the smaller sizes no problem.

As far as placement goes it is trial and error based on your livestock and aquascaping. Many people place a power head in the corners of there tank and point them towards the front panel. The main goal with power head placement is to eliminate dead spots(areas with no water movement) as best as possible.

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Fire Worm

Thanks! Yeah, I thought it would be more trial and error than exact placement, but I thought I'd ask.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Astrea Snail

for a tank that small (29 tall?) I'd say the biggest prob is hiding the phs. get several picopumps. they are tiny and easy to hide, plus more locations pumping = less dead spots. i'd say three of em at 90gph ea at least. maybe even one aquaclear (small too) and two picos. that should get you around 350gph - plenty for mushrooms/brains/xenia/frogspawn... etc. .02

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You really can't have enough water movement. The only thing is that depending on the type of coral...some require more water flow than others!! The best thing to do is to have the powerheads positioned in such a way as to have the water flow bank off of the glass instead of flowing directly on a particular coral.