Powerheads moving sand

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jmann124, Jul 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I've turned my powerheads in several different configurations and no matter what, they move my sand around. I have 1-2 inches of sand in my DT and I have 2 Maxi-Jet 600 powerheads in the back of the tank. They are about 4" below the surface and on the side glass almost all the way to the back. I have had them pointed in a few different directions.

Such as:

• pointed toward the middle of front glass slightly up toward surface
    • middle back of side glass pointed the same as above
    • one pointed as above and one pointed more straight forward & up
    • both pointed nearly straight forward and up
    I always make sure I have some surface agitation, but none one of these ways seem to keep sand from being moved drastically. So much that in a couple spots you can see the bottom glass. When I reach in and smooth the sand back out, it's moved again in a few hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Don't stop changing your PH configuration. Something will work eventually. If you really can't figure it out you may have to rearrange your rockwork a bit.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You must have sugar size sand. The configuration of on the sides pointed to the other side is your best bet. Make sure they are not pointed at each other. If you have one 2" from the back wall then the other should be 6" or more from the back wall. Pointed so they are aimed at the surface on the far end of the tank may help also.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

Make sure all your rockwork is in order, i could not get my powerheads to stop turning up my sand until i got all my rockwork set up so it kinda breaks up the waves.

6. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

How would you do that? I really like my 'scape right now. I don't want to change it, but I will if I have to.

7. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

You don't have to change it exactly, try to point your powerheads at the sides of the rock, tht way it breaks up your flow and there won't be a strong current on your sand

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Gotcha

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I like the advice 2in10 gave you.

Can you get a picture of your 'scape? That might help determine the best place to put your powerheads.

11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Sure can! Here you go.

[​IMG]

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Thanks. :)

The sand looks prety fine..must be sugar sand. That's what i use in my tanks. I like it, but powerheads can be difficult to figure out at first with such small sand grains. You may also have a hard time if you get a sand sifting goby, as it will create a sand storm.

I would put one on each end of the tank. The right side, have a powerhead toward the front (facing inward). On the left, do the same, but have it further back (still pointing toward the middle of the tank).

I like the tank dimensions, by the way. What size tank s this?