Powerhead Stopped Working

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RondaGP, Sep 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RondaGP

RondaGP Plankton

I just did a water change and a serious vacuum of my substrate (coarse crushed coral).

Until I can afford my new reef tank, I have an UGF for my 55g FOWLR.

Now one of my powerheads is not working and I'm not sure the other one is working as good as it did either.

I've done deep vacuums before with out any problems.
    I couldn't have clogged the filter to the point that no water at all will go through right?

??? :-[

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

It may have sucked a piece of crushed coral up into the power head and stopped it from turning............. John

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Did you take it apart and inspect/clean the impeller?

Like John said it probably got some debris in it.

Reef tanks are pretty hard on powerheads anyway. Kalk/calcium deposits can cause them to freeze up too until you clean them off. Soaking the impeller in vinegar or running the whole powerhead in vinegar can help remove that stuff if it's really caked on.

matt

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Ronda,

The intake can also be plugged with detritous and algea. Like Matt and John suggested. Take it out of the tank and clean the entire PH. You may also want to remove the lift tube from the UG filter plate and clean that up. Cleaning around the lift tube hole on the filter plate may help avoid future clogging.

I also suggest you go to your profile and edit your signature to include your tank set up as it will help us assist you!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey guess what. I was just staring at my tank and noticed the output of my Remora was really low. Well I took out my powerhead and guess what I found!  ;D (check pic below)
    Looks like I have some cleaning to do too!

(By the way, I use an algae pad to help clean it. ;) )

WHat timing! Thanks for bringing this up Ronda.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matt

(EDIT - OK, I GOT STARTED. This is what I did. I got the big stuff off with a made for glass algae pad. Then I filled the shaft of the powerhead that holds the impeller with white vinegar. Then I put the impeller back in. This way I clean the shaft and the impeller. I am going to let it soak for a few hours, then rinse and wipe off with a paper towel.)

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

As everyone has mentioned it is probably a stuck impeller or a clogged intake. There is a possibility that something under the UGF is blocking flow. I would suggest sticking a siphon hose down the UGF tube and try cleaning it that way.

BTW, its good to see that the great UGF is still used now and then.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Yo Ronda, you out there? ;D

10. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

I would give it a vinager soak overnight.

11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I noticed that when I clean my impellers and the housing they make more noise...I think all the slime helps for smoother operation.