powerhead or circulation pump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by chatmangt, Jun 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chatmangt

chatmangt Astrea Snail

What is the differnce and which do you prefer for a 55gallon saltwater tank that has live rock ,fish, eel,crabs,and snails?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

powerhead just cause I have had it and nothing else

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I personally find circulation pumps superior in regards to flexibility – specifically positioning and directional aiming. I use Echtech MP40’s, but these are expensive – alternatively the Hydor Koralia Nano is a nice powerful design that much more pocket friendly.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I agree with Crimson Ghost

Powerheads generally denote a water pump with a approx 1cm outlet
    whilst these can have modifications to spread flow better

The Korallia type as mentioned above, create a wide spread water movement right out of the box

Steve

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I'm not sure I'm up to date on pump nomenclature, but I'd probably classify 3 types of pumps I think. Powerhead provides a wide flow, over the entire tank, using virtually no electricity. A circulation pump, uses a lot of electricity and has a narrow, directional flow, but it's good for moving water from say a sump to the display. There are also directional powerheads, such as a maxi-jet powerhead, I think this is what Crimson Ghost is referring to? These are often refereed to as circulation pumps, but are different from their bigger energy loving cousins. This is very directional flow, but still uses has power consumption.

7. jeff@zina.com

[email protected] Flamingo Tongue

Buy one of the new MaxiJet Pro units and get both. :)

Jeff

8. Click Here!

9. chatmangt

chatmangt Astrea Snail

thanks for all the replies. I did buy a maxi jet 900 the only problem when its on the circulation setting its very loud and i checked the propeller and what not to make sure there isnt anything wrong with it but can't find anything. so im using the powerhead mode for now until marineland emails me back with advice.