Power outage imminent! Please advise!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Jan 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

not sure on that i don't use ick treatments,but i think you are going to have your hands full if you loose power for several days just trying to keep the tank warm

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

get a generator. It has way more uses than just the tank. If you have a wife she will be thrilled. Also if its cold you can run a heated blanket to keep warm at night. I lived off of a generator for a week once and will never be without one EVER again.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Generators, snow blowers, food, and even shovels are all sold out. People went crazy around here and flooded the grocery stores and hardware stores. I am stocked up to last 2 weeks with food. I am only worried about my tanks. An emergency has been officially declared for my area. Currently icing and windy. Any other ideas??? I could use them!

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I live in iowa as well and i dont think there will be as much snow up north, is there any way you can drive to a nearby town and see if they have generators? A generator is your best bet at this point. even an inverter to convert dc to ac from your car would be better than nothing. i know driving is probably not the best option so dont risk your well being or anything like that.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Wrap the tanks with towels
    Use your hands to oxygenate the water

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Generators are all gone. I do not have one....wish I did now and yes my wife is kinda freaking out. I WILL be getting one after all this is done. Its an hour drive to the next town that would have generators in a store. Im sure they are sold out too. BTW our forecasted temps tomorrow night when the storm will be at its worst is -17. Not including wind chill. Temps are gonna drop fast if I lose power. Handwarmers in zip lock bags are ready to go.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Great idea! I am going to wrap them tonight with blankets and towels! Thank you!

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

i sincerely hope that this whole thing blows over and you keep your power. but a few years ago this did happen in iowa, before i had a tank we got so much freezing rain and snow we were out of power for over a week or more. Good luck.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I hope everything works out for you. I know what it is like trying to keep multiple tanks alive for days. I had to keep about 4000 gallons of SW and 6000 gallons of FW alive as best as possible for 3 days. We lost no coral and about 25% of the fish. Not bad considering the temp, number of fish, and time without power.

Good luck and I hope it isn't as bad as you think it will be.

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

You know where I am coming from then sir. We are going to get a historic storm here in south eastern Iowa. As posted before generators are gone. The next closest town is an hour and the highways are 100 percent ice packed. 30 mph is the norm on the roads right now. Generator is out of the picture!