Power outage imminent! Please advise!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Jan 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am of the belief I am going to lose power for several days at the least. I live in a small town in southern Iowa. We are going to get half inch of ice then 26 inches of snow accompanied with 45 mph winds. Power outage is highly likely. If we lose power it will be out for 3 days minimum! Here is what I got.....175 gallon total volume setup on a 125 display. In this tank is a few shrooms, snails, crabs, and mixed hitchhikers. In a 20 gallon tank I have a yellow tang that has been in qt for about 3 weeks. Has been ich free for 4 days but is still in cupramine. The 20 gallon will drop temp and raise amonia fast but I believe the large tank will hold temps and params longer. Do I move the tang if and when I lose power and risk ich striking back? My dt has been fallow since the last addition for only 25 days btw.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

BTW I want my DT to be ich free! I am attempting to follow a DR's advise on how to do this. I HATE ich. HATE.....yes I said it!

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Also I would like advice on long term care of a tank without power. A week or longer is what I am talking about.

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

my 2 cents, would be yes on the move if power gos out. it will be hard enuff to keep one tank going if your with out power for sevral days in freezing weather.

6. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

that's gonna be tough...
    3 days your saying with no power...First the fish is the main thing you want to keep an eye out for...
    seeing like you don't have no way of supplying air/oxygen into the tank this will be difficult for the tang to survive after 48 hours...
    it'll ve very though If you can go out now and try finding a battery operated pump of some sort/or battery back up unit then this will at least give your fish a way better chance of survival.
    Also for the rest of the cleaning crew they should be good for 3 days seeing like there not a big nesscisty as the fishes...
    also you'd like to keep your feeding to a minimal and maybe not feed at all while this is going on...
    seeing like the amonia can spike because of the water being very still and no flow makes it very hard...
    unless your clean up is doing a krazy job while this is going on...
    best of luck that's all I can say...

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

battery power air pumps, a power inverter for the car, or a generator. maybe hand warmers.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Should I be worried about going from a full concentration of cupramine to a completely copper free environment in a single tank change?

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

the thought has crossed my mind

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I agree, if possible, I would buy a generator.

Battery powered air pump will help with O2. I run a UPS on my tanks in case of a power outage, but these are expensive and you would need a large one to run those tanks.