power out filter overflow.....

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by puffer_lover, Feb 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. puffer_lover

puffer_lover Astrea Snail

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    ok my siphon is created by me to start off and then it just keeps going untill i stop it.... the siphon outs water into the filter....well my return motor on the other side of the filter is plug in and so when the power goes out the siphon keeps pulling water into the filter but the return motor is powered off and the filter literally overflows! and my tank is on the sencond story!ahhhhhhhh! anyone please........if you have anything to say plz say it!!!!! the filter is a wet dry filter for a 75 gallon tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Puffer_lover. I don't really know how your tank is set up, but I'll give it a shot. I will assume the water overflow to your filter is a tube of some sort. The best way to break the syphon is to drill a hole in that tube just below the normal water level. That way if the power goes out and the water in the main is draining as soon as it gets below the drilled hole air will be introduced and the syphone broken. If your set up is different please describe it so we can help.

J

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That's hard to answer without seeing what yours looks like (sounds like what Jason said) Your overflow should be set up so that when the power goes out it will syphon until your tank goes down to a certain level and stops without breaking the syphon. Your sump or wet/dry should be set up so that it can handle this extra volume of water until the power comes back on. The return line from the pump to the tank should have a check valve in line so it will not back flow and overflow your sump. Understand??
    Jim

5. puffer_lover

puffer_lover Astrea Snail

ya understand and you peeps just answered my question!!!!!!!!!! thnk you soo much i could not figure it out and i was realy worried ! you don't know how many peple i have asked and no responce....thnx sooo much !!! love to all!