Power Heads GPH?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Regf, Feb 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Flow isn't just a number.... every tank is different. First you need to make sure you have enough flow through your rocks. "Enough" being enough to keep your rock work from traping too much ditritus. Take a power head now and blow out your rock.... see how much crap comes out... if it's a lot you need more flow. You can do that with small powerheads or with your return flows going down the back of the tank. Most important is to keep your rock work open enough to allow some flow.

Second.... your rock work makes things different. It really depends on where and how many or how much you need. Nobody can tell you that. You just have to start experimenting. Numbers are just a guidline. In one tank it is too much, in another it is not enough.

Then it is determined by corals. Lots of LPS and softies don't like being blasted. Heck... SPS don't like it either contrary to what most think. But after a SPS tanks starts to grow out... you need more flow just to get it through all those sticks slowing it all down. Korrilias are cheap and easy. Get a couple and see how they do. Add one or two if you need more.

As far as Vortech they are worth it to me and they don't need to be pointed. One MP40 would be more than enough for a 72. You would have to turn it down.... but again.... if you had dead spots in your tank from rock rock you may still need a small power head even though the MP40 puts out plenty of flow.

2. Click Here!

3. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Yes it is expensive. In my opinion it's worth it. I don't think any other power head at this point can compare to it. I have lps, sps, and soft corals. So a little bit of everything. It's the only power head I have. I don't need anymore, I can't even turn it up all the way as it is.

4. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks! Makes sense, didnt realize the blowing on the rock thing would show if I needed more flow, ill keep it in mind!

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Let's just put it this way:

With Vortechs, you don't need to aim them at all.

My Vortech is probably the best investment I've made in my tank, other than a refugium. It seemed like a lot of money TBH, but if you get one, you understand much better that they're really the best powerhead out there.

6. Tropical Addict

Agreed! Can you imagine what would happen if you tried to point them at something.lol

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Nothing different than if you put it in the middle of the side panel of your tank, TBH. They have such a broad flow pattern that it'd still give good flow everywhere in the tank

Now, if you meant to concentrate the flow using some kind of plastic funnel, I'd call you crazy for using flow strong enough to rip out acropora polyps. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

I have mine flowing through the middle. Not directly pointing at anything. If I was to "point" it in any other place my sand and corals would fly everywhere. It already on occasion knocks things down.lol

10. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

how much water do you have to leave out of your tank since there is a wave right? you dont want the water to go over the top, or can you adjust it so the wave on the surface isnt to hight?

11. Tropical Addict

No water falls out of my tank. You can adjust the amount of flow with the controller.

12. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Are the pictures of your tank with or without the vortech? So if I were to get it, I can keep my water right to the top without any spills?