Power Heads GPH?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Regf, Feb 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Im looking to buy power heads for my 75g tank, im just stumped on a type of brand to get and how much GPH? How many power heads should I get as well, I was thinking around 3-4? Or is that not enough?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Are you wanting to keep coral? If so, what types?

Koralia is my PH of choice for a non-controller type.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would suggest 4 Koralia Evos, 750 to 1400 size. If you are going SPS lean towards the 1400 your sand and rock work will decide how much to go. I have 2 x 1050, 1 x 750 and 2 x 425 behind the rocks. I have another 750 but can not use it because I end up with sand storms from my sugar sized sand.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Koralia is a good brand and very commonly used. What kinds of coral do yo want? This will determine how much flow you will want/need.

For a bit more, Vortechs are top of the line pumps and don't have the cord in the tank. They put out a more powerful punch too.

6. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

well there are many brands tunze are good but cost alot but i think they have a life time warranty
    the korolas are probably the most popular they are reasonably priced and reliable
    also you can get a maxi jet and mod them for cheep for lots of flow i would say at leas 3 high powered ones i have a 65 wich is shorter and i think i need more some times i will let some one els with more info fill u in there.

7. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i think he should stick with koralias. to corect me if iam wrong he is new to this like me and dose not need to spend that much on the get go also you cant aim them where u want ;)

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Is your 75 a 4ft tank Reg?

what did you intend keeping in there

fish only
    mostly softies
    mixed
    mostly SPS

for fish only somewhere around 20 x tank volume thus 1500 GPH would be a good start
    and 2 power heads of the wavemake style (Korallia, Sieo, Tunze etc) would be ideal

for softy dominated or mixed reef - 30 - 40 x tank volume is reasonable 2 power heads again would be OK IME

for SPS dominated tanks 50 or more x tank flow would be better and if it where me, I would use 4 power heads to achieve this - but many others would still use only 2 even in this scenario

HTH

Steve

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm aware the Vortechs cost quite a bit more; I'm not trying to swing him one way or the other. Just giving him options. He can price check if he wants and decide for himself. :)

11. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah its an 75, 4ft long, Im thinking of keeping fish, softies and lps corals (they are the same right -softies/lps?) so if I eventually wanted SPS corals should I just go with 50x just to avoid having to buy more powerheads down the road?

12. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes I plan on keeping coral, softies and lps, Ive never tried SPS, but they require more flow, so should I get powerheads with enough gph for the SPS should I decide to get sps corals down the road?