poweder blue tang dying help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by loneracer05, Feb 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

i have added an air stone just now to add some oxygen hopefully it helps(its on the opposite end of the tank to minimize stress

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

he is small i figured when he got alittle bigger i would add him to the bigger tank

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm concerned with your Nitrites any detectable amount can be harmful to fish.
    The addition of O2 is a good start. Personally I'm a big fan of Fast acclimation of fish. O2 can be depleted and CO2 levels can go through the roof in bags or containers used for dripping

J

5. loneracer05

i usually do a faster acclimation but i know these guys are alot more delicate....ive had gha that im now almost rid of but there is some there and i had thought he would eat some of it.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

By docile I meant get sick easily... At least IME.

7. loneracer05

i know they are harder to keep fish but is there anything else i can do at this point to save him ? lights off more flow .... less flow?

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

10. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

sorry to hear about the fish.
    I assume the rest of the fish are doing fine in the tank? if he is near the top i agree with other post that it may be an O2 issue but skimmer and fuge should should solve this... how do the gills look? redish? is he responsive to food, or tapping or current? maybe swimbladder? I also agree that detectable nitrites is not good for livestock. perhaps qt him so he is not just floating around a big tank upside down if he does not get better 1-2 days or if he is worse in the morning maybe look around for medications that list what you have as symptoms. edit: and yes maybe dim lights to actinic as it can stress but unlikely at this point (wont hurt). and i would say less flow if not put in qt.

11. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

also, i know you dont want to give up on him but lfs should refund (usually 7-10 day).

12. loneracer05

my lfs has no garantee but im going to talk to the guy i know mabe he will atleast give me a replacement.

he is in the back bottom corner upside down. he is not blowing around or anything hes staying put it is a low flow spot

all other fish are swimming around like normal if not more active

he is unresponsive to tapping but i gently blew some water his way frm a turky baster and he looked around. gills are normal color

actinics are the only lights on for now. ill turn the koralias off aswell