Powder brown has ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by jrwoltman, Oct 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Hello all,

My powder brown has had ich for about 2 1/2 weeks now. All other tank inhabitants: yellow tang, 2 clowns, 2 firefish, and 2 chromis are fine. It's a reef tank and I don't have a hospital tank, so my options are limited. He has been eating fine and I have been soaking nori and Rod's food in a mix of Kick Ich, garlic, and ginger.

It was recommended to me to do a freshwater dip in order to dislodge the parasites through osmotic shock. I have never done a freshwater dip before and I am a little nervous about it. I know that I could catch him with very little problem. My question is how long should I dip him for and is this really the right course of action. Short of someone opening a fish hospital tank in my area, there is not a whole lot else for me to do.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks,

Jim

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

As long as the fish is eating, active and not breathing rapidly you should stay the current course. You probably would not want to dip for more than 10 minutes. I would do some research on the web about FW dip for ich.

1 person likes this.
  4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Even if you do a freshwater dip and remove the parasites, the tang will just get ich again since the parasites are in the tank. The dip will really stress the fish, so I don't know if it's worth it...

1 person likes this.
  7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

In every tank I have ever had tangs in I have always had a cleaner shrimp and a neon goby just for those little occasional spots that are seemingly inevitable.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

2 people like this.
  10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

not saying my cleaner shrimp and neon goby are a sure fire ich cure . . . its what I use in my tank along with proper diet and husbandry for preventative measures.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  11. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Thank you all for the sage advice. I will continue to monitor him, treat his food, and hope that he can somehow just fight off the parasites on his own. I knew that powder browns were highly susceptible to ich, but thought I would give it a chance. Thankfully, all other fish are asymptomatic and healthy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  12. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

ReefBruh,

Thanks for the great link.

Jim