Resolved Powder Blue Tang getting bullied

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by gabbagabbawill, Oct 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Beautiful tang!!! I'm glad they are getting along better. :)

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

[​IMG]

Just an update with a pic. Iggy the tang is doing great!

Aggression from the angel is practically non-existent. They skirmish every once in a while but mostly when the tang is defending his veggie clip and even then things are over pretty fast.

Only problem I have is the tang only wants to eat algae. I know it's their diet, but I cannot get it even slightly interested in frozen or meaty foods.

Do tangs need meaty foods in their diet?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Most need very little meaty food, Regal tangs need a meaty diet to be the exception.

5. Elliott

Elliott Astrea Snail

little late on this, just noticed this post, one thing that works when you have a dominant fish is tape a mirror on the end of the tank, the dominant fish will be pre occupied seeing another fish of same kind and leave the other victim alone, later when things settle down you can remove the mirror :)

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Instant Ocean makes a grazing block for herbivores and another for omnivores. You could try that. I believe Petsmart sells them and I know Petco does.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

holy crap thats a skinny tang, better feed the hell out of him and hope its not internal parasites. I would step up your water changes for the first month or 2 to ensure the water quality is as good as it can be.

also, what do you have for flow and what sized tank? I have noticed powder blues and browns like a TON of flow ans loads of room to move around.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

Hmmm... well, thanks for the post... I do appreciate your candor, even though I do find your bedside manner to be somewhat lacking.

That aside, I do realize he is sort of thin, and the thought that he may have internal parasites has certainly crossed my mind, but I believe if he did, he wouldn't have made it this long or be showing signs of improved health. I'm in it for the long haul now, and must say that his health and vigor has greatly improved over the past week. He has significant weight gain, as you can see if you look at my previous posts.

Also, I think the last picture I posted may be a bit misleading because it seems to cast a strange shadow...

I have a 5 ft long tank and tons of flow. While I wouldn't have kept him in a tank that was any smaller than this one, I do feel it is adequate. My water parameters are squeaky clean, and I see no need for water changes above the 15 gallons per week that I am already administering at this time.

As far as feeding the hell out of him, do you recommend anything besides the fresh agardhiella and red and green dried laver that I am feeding him now? He is always eating it when I am watching the tank...

I'd like to figure a way to supplement his diet with HUFAs and garlic, but he is not taking prepared foods. He only eats algae, whether its GHA from the rear tank wall and rocks, the nori, or the fresh agardhiella. I could dip or soak the nori, but I'm not even sure if that would do anything and may be a waste.

If you do have any suggestions for feeding, I'm open to them.

-Will

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  10. gabbagabbawill

Well, the tables have turned. The Angel has decided not to start fights anymore with the tang... but NOW, the angel sits and watches the tang eat nori on his algae clip, and when the tang is not looking, goes to get a bite a piece off... the tang sees this, and chases the angel back to his corner... This behaviour has been going on all night... It reminds me a lot of my dogs behaviour, they want what the other one has, no matter what they have of their own... I'd bet the angel wouldn't even consider the nori if the tang wasn't there... hahaha

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

mine loves spirulina brine and mysis with selcon, garlic, and vitachem additives. I also feed formula 1 flakes, spirulina flakes, nori, and formula 2 pellets. feed heavy and often and keep an eye on the params. trates might start to raise if your other fish / cuc aren't taking care of the leftovers, but if your lightly stocked it shouldn't be a big deal.

~Will.

12. gabbagabbawill

I feed a ton, but my nitrates are staying low...

Today, the tang is looking fatter than ever... His boniness is starting to smooth out to a thicker body... I think he's on his way to being healthy. :D