Powder Blue Tang Disease

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by YellowBelly, Mar 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

My Powder Blue Tang contracted this clear film on the side of its body yesterday and later on it turned a little brown. This morning I woke up to a dead tang and it looked like there were patches of internal bleeding. Does anyone know what the tang could have contracted? I received it last week from Live Aquaria and it has been in a 40 gallon breeder as a quarantine tank.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

strangely these were on sale i think last week? but if it was eating and this was the large $64.99? i highly doubt somthing was contracted from liveaquaria most likely stress induced disease and uronema doesent infect tangs on a normal basis it loves chromis though

5. YellowBelly

It was the Medium on sale for $39.99. I sent Live Aquaria the pic and description so hopefully they will know what the cause was.

6. trapstar991

trapstar991 Feather Duster

well i was actually going be be getting one this week so i decided to call them and see what the issue was myself and i was told there wasent a "unusual" amount of powder blue deaths so whats a good rate of death? that i dident like hearing at all

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

sorry for your loss, I'm a lover of the PBT but they are so hard to keep alive, hopefully you will get credit back for it. Get a Purple, they are much hardier :)

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

Here is Live Aquaria's reply to the picture I sent.
    "Thank you for your reply. We sincerely apologize for the loss of the Powder Blue Tang. After doing some research we feel the cause of your Tangs death was Skin Hemorrhage, which is mostly caused by water quality and stress. We ask you to please email us back with your water parameters just to make sure there is no issue there. Once we have this information available we will be able to assist you further in this matter. Thank you for choosing Drs. Foster & Smith LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future."

My parameters were as follows.
    pH -8.2 (API Test Kit)
    Temp. - 75
    Salinity - 1.025 (Refractometer)
    Ammonia - 0 (API Test Kit)
    Nitrite - 0 (API Test Kit)
    Nitrate - 0 (API Test Kit)

10. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

If they want to nitpick they could say your temp seems a few degrees low but everything else seems normal.

11. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Was there anything else in your breeder/quar tank aside from the PBT? Or was there anything in there right before him?

12. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I'm sorry for your loss and I hope everything with the retailer goes well. Sometimes they can be stubborn but I bet you will do ok.