Post Cycling - Adding fish & invertebrates?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gamma, Mar 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Well I finally got my new tank setup w/ the ls & lr going thru the cycling stage. Looking fwd, after cycling is complete, are there any recommendations on what to add first? I've read so many times about people adding too many fish too soon.

Do I need to start out w/ some hardy damsels first for a few months or can I get other fish that aren't so hardy?

I would eventually want to have: shrimp, crab, corals, anemones, clams & starfish (not sure how many of each yet), but I want to do it right.

What should my gameplan be in the next 3 mos, 6 mos, 1 yr?

What is the timeline for adding any of the above mentioned and how many at a time?

Does it matter what order they're added into the tank?

GaMmA
    (I know a ton of questions...)

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Re: Post Cycling - Adding fish & invertebrates

Hiya GaMmA!

A "Ton of questions" - but a "Ton of good ones" - and I might add, "right ones"

Going to hear/see lots of opinions just about anywhere where "reef talk" is spoken.  Some from the very experienced, some from the "not so" (I fall pretty much close to the latter) - but was not to long ago I was asking/wondering same.

Best advice (heard often around here) "is go slow" - that being said, it should be recognized you have invested alot of time/effort/and $$$ in getting to where you are & and obviously excited about seeing something swimming around in that wonderful reef environment you have created - and I say you should as soon as your tank is ready for them.

My recommendation would be, as soon as you are convinced your cycle is over - get some inverts (cleaners - crabs, snails), then pick a couple of hardy fish that you plan on having around along time.  See lots of people go out and get fish just because they are hardy, but not happy with them in tank in long run.  

Whatever fish you decide on, don't get small/young ones just because they are cheaper/cuter...spend a few extra bucks and get "medium" size a little more "mature" ones.  Much better chance at survival in new tank.

Acclimate, Accimate, Acclimate!!! when they arrive - read up on while you are waiting for cycle to complete.  Much more important then I initally thought - which resulted in my first "loss" because I thought I knew what I was doing but did not.  Still "mourn over"  :-[  :'(

Also take some time to fill out your tank specs in your sig block..would help others here make recommendation on species etc. that would be good to start with...good time to study up on the basics you are going to need to know once adding fish, etc.

Well hope that helps for a start - lots of great "Reef Wisdom" to be gained from others here...

Just keep "asking"...

OmarD

[​IMG]

(ps - am trying out my new "mod" hat - you are first "victim"  ;) )

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

GaMmA,

Me again..just saw what you have...sounds like a great setup..

I'd go for a couple of tangs to start, maybe a Hawaiian & Hippo...lots of action, color and are pretty hardy. (just make sure cycle is complete - don't rush that) & don't forget to add a cleaner shrimp - tangs need them. (is what I started with)

(those damsels are hard to live with over long haul - esp with what you want to put in tank...)

Om

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

One of my favorite starter fish is tank raised perculas, little more money but little hardier and used to living in aquarium conditions. This means less stress. I avoid damsels in a reef tank because they are hard to remove later.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Clams and corals will require MH lighting.  What kind of corals are you thinking about, Soft, LPS, SPS, or a combination?

I recommend a cleanup crew first, then corals, and then reef safe fish (least aggressive to most aggressive).  This should take a year or two to complete.  Remember more small fish versus fewer larger fish.  Fish can be an extension of the clean up crew.

How big is your tank and how is it set-up?  Congrats on taking the time to plan, that's awesome!

7. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Thanks everyone for the great advice. The damsels seemed to be the most popular and hardy as far as starter fish go. Never really thought about getting them out. I guess I was just hoping that a few of them would live the 1st month.

I was thinking a combo of all 3 corals.

My tank is a 120g 4x2x2 w/180lbs LR, 160lbs LS w/ 2x250w MH's & 2x110w VHO's. Is there anything else you needed to know?

8. Click Here!

9. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

So I should intro into the tank in this order:

1) clean-up crew
    2) corals
    3) fish

Any recommendations on a clean-up crew?
    So I take it the clams are last?
    With the corals, do those have to be introduced into the tank slowly as well?
    How many corals is too many too quick?

Just curious, when people "remove" fish, how do they get rid of them?

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Get rid of them how? Out of the tank or permanently.
    Out of tank can be tricky but doable.setting up a trap or by patience and a net.
    When you do get them,  the LFS will take them back most of the time.
    If not a good home or a humane way is to put them in a container of water and put them in the freezer. But I do not agree with euthanizing a poor fish for no reason other than i dont like it anymore, thats why its important to ask the ?s you are, so you dont have to make that choice down the road.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

RE:

"...I was thinking a combo of all 3 corals..." - Posted by: GaMmA

Ummm - mixing Coral types can be done - but can also bring some very bad "mojo" to your tank.  (re: A. Calfo, et al)

May not be best choice first starting out.

They can "defend" themselves (or go on "attack") with some very powerful chemical weapons, which may ultimatly affect all tank residents - but certainly will do damage (or worse) to other corals and tank life.

While I find it a bit harder to get as "emotionally" attached to a coral as I do a fish - got to keep in mind they are still living creatures and their welfare is also your responsibility.  Putting them at risk right at the offset while you are dealing with all kinds of new tank parameters may be something you want to think about avoiding.  (besides, they are a very "pricy" part of your new tank setup)

If you are sure you want all three types in the long run, you might want to start out by adding just a couple hardy softies, and a LPS or two in tank.  (or just one or other) - then when everything has stablized for month or so - add another, then another, etc...keeping a close eye on everyone as you do, to make sure all are going to get along.

I spent a couple of hundred dollars on a series of mature colt and tree corals when fiirst starting out (supposedly quite "hardy" types) that kept shriviling up and going to pieces the day or so after introduction...was never sure quite why...but now, after considerable time,  have some "frags" of each that are doing great. -

Still don't have any SPS...and don't know if I will ever...but guess it would be best to start with these alone, if that is the directiion you are headed.

Pay close attention to "hardiness" and "care levels" - the large vendors on line list with their ad's....or better yet - go out and get Calfo'/Fenner's book:

Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibilty

by Anthony Calfo, Robert Fenner

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967263034/qid=1080824397/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-3013738-8795858#product-details

and/or

Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists

by Anthony Rosario Calfo

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971637105/ref=pd_sim_books_4/103-3013738-8795858?v=glance&s=books

Either cost less then what a single coral may cost...and will hints on saving megabucks in future selections and rasing/fraging your own.

See "Coral"  forum here, and browse thru...any thoughts about post there...lots of good advice available.

FWIW

OmarD

[​IMG] - headed out of town for some SUN/WARM... ;D

12. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

If it's not a good idea to mix corals, then if i was to start w/ soft corals, would it be wise to add lps or sps corals?