Possibly buying a new laptop

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

So I have changed plans a bit. If I can afford it I would like a nice PC...and an OK laptop (will switch it to linux). The laptop/netbook will just be to have something I can surf the web with/ use MS office when I am not home.

I will probably go with the HP 200 Quad Series. $830 is the base package, but this should be PLENTY for everything I want to do. I could do some awesome gaming on it too. :D

-2yr limited warranty for parts and labor

-21.5" LED backlit non-glare screen
    -Windows 7 Home Premium operating system
    -Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-760 quad-core processor (2.8GHz, 1MB L2 plus 8MB shared L3 cache)
    -8GB DDR3-1333MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs] RAM
    -1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD
    -512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210 graphics card

Obviously I've gone over my original safe budget, but what the heck. lol.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Very Well Said! ;)

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Odd enough... not a single failure was from the cable. The power supply for the monitor backlight burnt up.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'll also note that Sony is just as bad as Apple when it comes to the vendor lockdown, they were mentioned for the sake of being an example of higher quality parts that Dell/HP - no more, no less.

6. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

didn't feel like reading through everything but if it hasn't been mentioned... Asus makes some pretty kick ass netbooks/laptops. Read an article a while back that actually had them out on top along with Toshiba... Dell and hp were at the bottom of that list surprise, surprise...

7. ComputerJohn

The power inverter for the backlight? Damn things are not cheap.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

Yeah but that's pretty much the case will all notebooks. Perhaps hard drives, memory or even a power adapters can easily exchange. All other parts you have to cross reference the part numbers to see if that part will work.

Desktops are far easier. Anyone remember the Radio Shack Tandy? LOL Ok I'm starting to feel old!

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

10. Ron P

Ron P Astrea Snail

My recommendation for any pc laptop or desktop is to start off by deciding what you want to do with it. Gaming systems tend to have different basic requirements than say systems just to get on the net or to edit multimedia stuf

Depending on what software you intend to run getting a dual core cpu can save a bundle. In my experience very few programs are optimized for more than
    2 cores. Hopefully this changes fairly soon.

Laptops are mostly designed to not be very upgradable so try to get the best you can afford. The more future proof you can make it the longer you will be able to use it. It sucks to have a computer and not be able to install that cool new bit of software because it doesn't meet the min requirements.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Tigerdirect.com has a 48 hour laptop liquidation going on right now. Check it out!

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yeah. I realize. I'm just of the mindset that if youre going to try minidisks and memory sticks, or lock down a product in another related business, I won't buy your other products from markets with more open competitors. I have a ps3 and a sony tv, but I'll never buy a computer or camera from them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk