Possibly buying a new laptop

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Jun 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

How lond di you have this laptop? To me it really sounds like there was dust that had collected inside.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

That's the one I had a year. But then the hard drive died on it, so the overheating was a moot point by then.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

All these PCs just left a bad taste in my mouth! Not to mention tech support was horrible. LOL I'm sure other people get PCs and they work wonderfully for years. I just am cursed with them :)

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

save your money for a MAC...dont get me wrong I love my 17" widescreen laptop (yes it is portable) but man nothing beats a MAC. I wish I saved my money and went that route.

Remember you get what you pay for it may be wiser to save up and get something better..just my two cents

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Overheating can cause drive failure, so I wouldn't say it was a moot point. It likely caused your issue entirely. Did you ever dust it out with a compressed air can? Windows crashing was an issue with something you installed. I guarantee it was something that you did.

Anyways, I have, up to this point, had a single hard drive fail while I've used it. I've personally had over 25 hard drives of various makes, models, sizes and types, including 3 SSDs. That's not to say anything of the future *knocks wood*. The only hard drive that's failed was dead on arrival (broken during shipping). I've gone through nearly every major manufacturer of laptop, and built my own desktops for years.

I can tell you that Dell and HP are the cheaper brands when it comes to internal components. Apple, admittedly, uses higher grade components than Dell and HP, who typically use the cheapest stuff available (their business model is entirely based around cost), but aren't anything better than the higher quality laptop manufacturers (Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo, maybe Alienware depending on what Dell did with them).

The argument against Macs isn't because of being "anti-trend". Notice the people who are really against it are typically tech people with above average knowledge in the field? It's because tech people understand what Apple represents in the tech world, and don't like it. They represent a closed culture, even moreso than Microsoft ever did, and have been leading the tech industry towards closed systems. In broad terms, they represent convenience at the expense of freedom.

As for AIO machines, I don't like them either. Just try to upgrade one in any significant manner...

2 people like this.
  7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I have literally boughten over 1000 laptops over the past ten years. The list of recommendations I have are short;

Ibm/lenova thinkpads
    Dell latitudes
    Toshiba satellites

I have ibms that are still functional at 10the years. Dells are close second. The toshibas are good, but were prone to monitor failure on early to mid 2000s.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Let's see what we are running....

Custom Built Home Theater System Connected To LG 55" LCD
    (AMD Phenom II 940 3.0 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 3TB of storage, Blu-Ray burner, running Linux & Waterproof Wireless Keyboard w/ Trackpad)
    Gateway Notebook 15.4" (7 years old & still running solid)
    Dell Notebook 15.4" (my girls)
    Compaq Netbook 10.2" (my girls)
    Dell Mini Notebook w/ Sprint 4G Built-in 11.6" Connected to Dual 23" LCDs
    Dell Mini Notebook w/ Sprint 4G Built-in 11.6" (new still in the box, backup)
    Dell Netbook w/ Sprint 4G Built-in 10.2" (new still in the box, backup)
    Plus used Sony, HP's, Dell's, & some other mfg for testing purposes.. :)

Yes, Mac which stands for Macintosh, which itself is an Apple.. Wow Jobs is a genius.. lol...

Just a little history & your welcome, not to mention Microsoft couldn't let Apple go under either. If not, they would be considered as a monopoly. ;D

Microsoft deal

At the 1997 Macworld Expo, Steve Jobs announced that Apple would be entering into partnership with Microsoft. Included in this was a five-year commitment from Microsoft to release Microsoft Office for Macintosh as well a US$150 million investment in Apple. It was also announced that Internet Explorer would be shipped as the default browser on the Macintosh. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates appeared at the expo on-screen, further explaining Microsoft's plans for the software they were developing for Mac, and stating that he was very excited to be helping Apple return to success. After this, Steve Jobs said this to the audience at the expo:

If we want to move forward and see Apple healthy and prospering again, we have to let go of a few things here. We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose. We have to embrace a notion that for Apple to win, Apple has to do a really good job. And if others are going to help us that's great, because we need all the help we can get, and if we screw up and we don't do a good job, it's not somebody else's fault, it's our fault. So I think that is a very important perspective. If we want Microsoft Office on the Mac, we better treat the company that puts it out with a little bit of gratitude; we like their software. So, the era of setting this up as a competition between Apple and Microsoft is over as far as I'm concerned. This is about getting Apple healthy, this is about Apple being able to make incredibly great contributions to the industry and to get healthy and prosper again.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree, but the repair to the Toshiba's are a lot cheaper. The flex cable that are attached to the LCD on the Toshiba's are replaceable. Others tend to require replacing the whole LCD assembly which is a really bad design.

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That's a good point. I realized that when I bought my first (and last) Iphone.

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark