Possible to change filtration systems?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Sep 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

In a previous thread I asked about my loud Penguin filter. Well, it runs quietly and then suddenly gets so loud it's ridiculous. Then it'll quiet down, and then get loud again. You get the idea.

Is there a way to switch to an Aqueon (sp?) without starting a cycle? I'm really sick of this Marineland--worst investment ever regarding an aquarium but obviously there are fish in my tank so a cycle is not a possibility.

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you can transfer the filter material from the Penguin to the Aqueon then yes. Also you could run them simultaneously for a couple of weeks.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

By filter media do you mean the blue pad thing with a minute amount of carbon in it or do you mean the biowheel?

Running both for a while is a good idea.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

what i would do is run them both at the same time so the new filter gets all loaded up with the beneficial bacteria, then eventually take the crappy one off the tank.

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for your responses. I'll do as you all have suggested and run both until the other one is filtering. Do you think it will only take a few weeks?