possible problem with heater?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Blazinfire, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hello,

i just set up a brand new 38 gallon aquarium. currently still running all the appliances getting the ideal water condition to start the cycle. i have my heater set to heat and maintain the tank at 76 degree's.

so far the tank has been set up for 18 hours now. the temperature has dropped around 70 degree's i still have no activity on the heater. I'm not quite sure what is going on. not sure if this would be a normal behavior or not

if anyone has any suggestions and so forwards please reply. thanx.

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I would take it back. What kind of heater is it? I'm switching to a titanium heater because for being the one piece of equipment that can nuke your tank you don't want to cheap out.

4. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

its just whatever heater came with the aquarium. not exactly sure. lol which i have planned on upgrading it anyways. it's just a bummer since this one isn't working until I'm able to upgrade

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Yeah, I hear ya. I would hate for you to lose livestock because of a pos heater.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

i use a stelth heater and so far has been very good. I would definitly get diffrent heater

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I use a finnex titanium heater, best out there dollar for dollar in my opinion

8. Click Here!

9. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

well it seems like the obvious suggestion would get a replacement heater. thanks a lot guys. i was kinda hoping that it would pull out. but temperature is still going down in the tank and i was prepared to start the cycling tomorrow. guess it will have to wait til another heater and get the tank heated up :)

thanx alot

10. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

hey everyone that posted. figured i'd give you guys an update on the current situation i found the solution to the heater problem. i contacted the shop i got the aquarium kit from. and they had an extra so they swapped heaters with me. hopefully this one will work i just put it in the tank and letting it sit for 15 mins or so before plugging in. lets just hope this one works :)

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i usually let mine sit in the water for about an hour before turning it on. I blew one up once when i just threw it in there and turned it on.

12. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

well good news. the 1 hour round trip drive was well worth it. i guess the kit had a defective heater in it. its been 30 minutes. i went to plug the heater in. and as soon as it was plugged in. the indicator light came on. so hopefully it actually is working. we will see over night to see if the temperature rises