Possible ICH!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by NinjaGirl, Jul 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

All was well the other day then when I came home from work I looked at my damsel and noticed a few small white spots on his body. I then checked my Goby and he had a few as well. I assume this to be ich and want to remove it quickly!
    I went to the store and bought KENT MARINE Rx-P "Parasite Treatment for Marine Fish and Invertebrates."
    I have a Domino Damsel, Engineer Goby, Bumble bee snail, Nassarius snailx3, and hermit crabsx4.
    The bottle says that its safe for most inverts, do you thin they will be okay?
    The bottle also said that it must be used with a protein skimmer, but the one i ordered doesn't come in till friday!
    Should I just wait a few more days before treating? I dont want the infection to get worse. What should I do!? :confused:
    Replies are much appreciated :)

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well, i usually leave things be.
    IMO any " reefsafe" medicin doesnt really work.

i would just give them enriched food with garlic and let them be. they will fight it off.
    the only way i would treat is if i had the secondary infection, wich is the real killer here.

4. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

So your saying I should just return the medicine and just try feeding then food with garlic? Does that really work?

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The last reef safe medicine I saw was a mixture of spices and whatnot. It was pretty much Pasta Fagioli in a bottle, minus the pasta.

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well i mean..
    the "reefsafe" medicine is just going to get your water dirty IME..
    its best to just keep feeding them good food and the ich should go away on its own.
    or you could get a separate tank and use a copper based medicine wich should work but it will stress the fish too

7. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

I guess I'll just give it a few days since the infection just appeared today.

8. Click Here!

9. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

I finally got my protein Skimmer in today. I now have tons of microbubbles. My fish seem more stressed than ever. My damsel is now breathing rapidly. What should I do? Do i just give it time?

10. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Onw of my clowns i had haf ich. What i did was put him in a bowl full of freshwater. I left him in there for a couple minutes and then put him back in my tank. The next day he had no more white spots on him but he was acting different

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Read this:

Saltwater Ich / White Spot Disease - Learn to Diagnose and Treat Cryptocaryon

The treatment in the above link recommends a freshwater dip and Formalin treatment.

Freshwater dip instructions:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyposalinity/ht/ht_fwbath.htm

Formalin treatment if you have it (or can get it quickly):

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/ht/treatbrooklynel.htm

When did you start administering treatment? I assume it's the KENT MARINE Rx-P "Parasite Treatment for Marine Fish and Invertebrates that you are using. I've never used it so I don't know how well it will work.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

Your correct, thats the medicine. I only put a few drops last night since the Skimmer wasn't fully cycled. I'll read up on those and give it a shot