Urgent Possible hemorrhagic septicemia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tonythereefer, Feb 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

I had recently (yesterday) added some green chromis to my QT that was already housing 2 black clownfish and a royal gramma, I noticed that one of the chromis had what looked like a bruise on its side just after I added him to the tank, at the time I didn't think anything of it and would clear up.

Today that fish died and I noticed the bruise had now what looked like a cut, now I just lost a second chromis with the same looking bruises, right now the third chromis, clownfish and gramma look fine but I've been doing some research and it seems like the two chromis that died had hemorrhagic septicemia

My question is woukd a broad spectrum antibiotic like E.M. Erythromycin treat this? Are the rest of my qt inhabitants goners? I'm really concerned about this, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Hey mate.

I had the same problem about 2 months ago. My first two fish were two green chromis. I ended up with those two, a flame angel, a flasher wrasse, a 2 dotty backs and a clown.

Then..... hemorrhagic septicemia.... I lost a chromis first, followed by everything except the flame angel and clown fish.

It seemed to affect long skinny fish the worst. It ate away at their sides and then eventually they died within 2-3 days of onset of symptoms.

My flame angel and clown are still fine and I have started re-stocking.

I did not add anything to treat it. I just waited ages before adding any new fish to make sure it was gone. I personally wouldnt add the EM. because it is most likely going to do more harm than good at this stage, like killing your beneficial bacteria etc. I would just wait it out. As soon as any fish has symptoms remove them ASAP. I think you might be lucky and it stops at the chromis and your other fish stay fine.

Its abit call to add EM.

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

At least you QT'd. I didnt really read that bit. If its only a QT tank, you might want to think about using it. But I think I would just wait it out and hope for the best. Dont move those clowns and gramma out of the QT for at least a month.

5. tonythereefer

Yeah I think I'll take my chances and add the EM it can't hurt in a qt and I'd rather be safe than sorry especially after dropping $60 on the 2 clowns

Thank you for the quick posts though, thing is now I have return the dead chromis to the lfs, since I got them just yesterday and tell them that they may have HS in there system cause they had tons of chromis in the tank, I'm sure they were all infected

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Fingers crossed mate. It decimated my tank.

7. tonythereefer

now I'm worried about medicating, I have a mandarin in the QT that was going to go into the DT today, now I'm afraid of what the antibiotics will do to him as I know they are sensitive to medications