Possible Government Ban on Importation of wild coral and fish

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by GuitarMan89, Feb 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Here is an excerpt of the story that was published by Coral Magazine Editors on 2/16/10 about the US Government considering a possible stony coral ban:

" A move to place more than 80 species of stony corals on the Endangered Species list appears to be gaining traction with the U.S. federal government. A petition from an Arizona-based environmental group calls for protection of 8 Caribbean and Western Atlantic species, 9 corals in the Hawaiian Islands, and 66 species from the Indo-Pacific.

The 83 species included in the original petition range from 4 species of Acanthastrea, 22 species of Acropora, 3 species of Euphyllia, 8 species of Montipora, and 4 species of Turbinaria. Among the corals on the list are such commonly kept aquarium species as Euphyllia parancora, Galaxea astreata, Pavona cactus, Turbinaria reniformis, and many species of Acropora.

“This is a call to action,” said Marshall Meyers, CEO of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) in Washington. “There may be some species that do need protection, but to list all of these corals demands serious science-based, credible studies demonstrating that each of these species is endangered.”

If listed, the corals would be banned from collection in U.S. waters, banned from import into the United States; interstate shipment would become illegal. Captive propagation would require a federal permit, and corals could only be bought and sold within states. “Effectively, this would end the international trade in stony corals to the United States,” Meyers said in an exclusive interview wit.

U.S. Considers Endangered Species Protection for 82 Stony Coral Species | Coral Magazine

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Good God, here we go again. Will these idiots ever leave us alone.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I saw this yesterday. Still tying to figure out what the community can do about this. Even if we have the pieces in our tanks it will be illegally to propagate without a permit and it will be illegal to ship them out of state.

I certainly don't have a problem with protecting the reefs. However, by propagating these captive pieces we do no harm to the reefs. We actually learn more about them. If it becomes illegal to buy captive bread pieces it would seem that more people would just get the pieces on the reefs themselves which would defeat the purpose.

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hopefully this doesn't pass or gets shut down.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

This type of across the board ban has been tried before. I can't imagine how anyone seems to think these things are a good idea. It is one thing to try to protect the actual reefs, heck, I would love to help. To ban propogating corals that are already out of the reefs if frickin retarded. It defeats the whole purpose.

A better idea would be to restrict the imports to propogation farms. At least that would severely restrict the wild harvest. It would raise our prices, but would at least do something positive.

Lets put in a call for the banning of dogs. All dogs, across the board. Can't breed them, can't sell them. Seems sane to me. Morons....

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I wouldnt mind seeing this come about, If scientists find ways to propagate corals to a point where everything was tank bred/harvested for our tanks. Would be pretty nice. But Man if this passes, next will be the fish...

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Yeah this has been going on in the reptile industry as of late too. Though its not due to endangered species, its due to big snakes finding environments in our country habitable land. Some organization will come forward and fight this, in the reptile industry it was USARK. It will probably consist of seasoned reef hobbyist, scientists, and politicians. And this is will all happen if it gets to state and federal congress. Its been an ongoing battle with the big snakes but still nothing has happened.

10. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I could see if they banned harvesting corals from the reefs but to ban fragging too they are just stupid that just makes people want to do it illegally lol fragging illegal. Go to jail and some murderer is like what are you here for oh I illegally fragged some corals

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

You walk out of the LFS and a guy in a hoodie comes up, "man, I got some reeeaaaal nice corals man. Come to my spot, got something nice for ya, good price man.. yeah"

Cant wait for it..

12. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

lol it will be like drugs