possible Dead clam question..

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Zoban, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

The foot area I assume is a good indicator of death if it isn't solid across the two halves of the shell?

The previous owner did say that he'd not been doing so well the last while ie. Mantle not out as far, faded colour etc. Before I recieved em.

:(

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

the foot area recedes and gets slimy, the mantle rescedes all the way into the shell, gets slimy etc.

post a picture...hard to tell if it is dead or if it is stressed from the description.

4. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

If need shots of the foot will have to reach in and flip em..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved em onto that lil piece of rock this morning when noticed how far he was receded and noticed the foot.

Shoulda posted earlier but had to get to work and such :(

5. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 0
    ph = 8.3
    cal = 400ish
    temp 78

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clams can detach their foot without having significant issues. However that fact that yours is not openning fully is of more concern to me.

Have you checked for pyaramid snails ?

Did you acclimate the clam to your lighting?

Looks like a Crocea but hard to tell when closed.

Too much flow will also cause them to remain closed and disregard food in an attempt to move.

Good luck

7. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

A lot of coraline algae on the shell- indicates an older clam to me, or one that might be used to higher calcium levels, what lighting are you using and what other critters are in your tank? what is the water tempreture? If it's foot was "torn" off it will likely die, if not, just a partial tear, it can come back but will take time and extra care.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it is hard to tell.....I would leave it be and see what happens. When my clam died, they remained open and I could see the mantle receeding.

10. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

RIP to Mr Clam. :(

This morning when the lights came on took a look at em and it was obvious that he had passed.

Rinsed out the shell and have it placed in the copepod tank for the time being.

11. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Tank inhabitants water and all were transferred from the previous owner only thing I've added to the tank is the Mandarin since I've gotten the setup. Well aside from water top up and changes.

Thinking was my own stupidity in the end adding stress to the move and not doing well in the first place, by placing in the sand (crushed coral) vs on a rock etc when I did the move.

Will know better in the future. I hate to see anything pass be it fish, plant, coral, invert etc etc SW or FW..

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sorry to hear that