porcupine puffer question

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by razvan, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. razvan

razvan Astrea Snail

Hi,

I have a quick question.

I have a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon refugium.
    the tank water quality is almost perfect (nitrates a little above 0) I changed most of the water last week.
    I have a bird wrasse, a cinnamon clown, a black spotted grouper and a porcupine puffer.

My porcupine puffer has been pale for 3 to 4 weeks. The grouper is white too. The relationships btw the fish are fine. When I introduced each of the fish to the tank, they all either ignored eachother or got along just fine.

I see that my puffer has like a thin film on his eyes. They all eat crab meat and i tried shrimp but they are not interested.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Also, do bird wrasse shed, bc. mine did shed about a month ago.

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you need to provide all your parameters so we can help. salinity ph etc

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yes, params are good to know as sostoudt said. My fish usually get pale whe it's time to change the bulbs in my lights.
    If the eyes look hazy, look at the pH, it's probably low and burning the fish.

5. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

+1 on this. Also my porcupine used to change color depending on mood and what i fed him. That is alot of fish for a 55gallon tank so your fish might just be stressed from the close contact with other tankmates. If the fish are not aggressive towards each other it does not necessarily mean that everything is a ok so i would not just overlook this when trying to determine the cause. Good luck

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I was thinking the same thing. Puffers can get as large as 18", which is a whole lot of fish. They need at least 80 gallons by themselves.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Cloudy/filmy eyes can be an early sign of external parasites, ich and flukes esp. I would like stated post params and take a good look at the fishes bodies and look for parasites.

Good luck