Porcupine Puffer Changing Color...?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Taylor, Jun 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

okay so about a week ago my porcupine puffer started to get a white nose, that slowly started spreading. Now it covers most of her head....Any one have an idea? Cures?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

I don't think this is something to worry about. How long have you had this puffer? Mine changes colors all the time. He gets darker, lighter, greener.

4. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

I've had her 6months

5. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

my guess would be that the change of diet is changing his color

6. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

hmmm....i havent changed her food at all.. Are you saying that she may want something new?

7. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

(unresolved)

BUMP

okay well I still dont have an answer. From my research I feel like it might be fatty liver disease.....? anyone think that? Shes not eating, and has shown no interest in the past 3 days. She has an arched back, and looks lethargic*.....my tank params are all in check, and she is worrying me very much...she is BY FAR my favorite fish, and I would like to do the best for her. If this disease is contagious*, should i set up a hospital..? is euthanasia a possibility...I just cant stand to see any animal suffer, and I will do whatever is necessary to help her..thank you, and any advice would be a help!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've been digging for over an hour and can't put a finger on the exact disease; however, I did find that most viral infections, internal and external, are caused by the same family of bacteriums and the cure is the same for all-- QT and administer SW fish antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

11. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

i dont think a disease would target just her mouth. i think it could be the diet change over time since you purchased it from the lfs. If the fish is acting normal i dont think you should worry.

but i think im wrong. Bump for the puffer!

12. Taylor

Taylor Astrea Snail

Thanks guys for both your help. Well this morning Rosie has been puffed up for 3+ hours (not a good sign) lethargic, not swimming, and breathing heavy...I dont think there is anything I can do! Shes not "depuffing" ..please help ASAP...I hate to see her suffer