Resolved Pops out from rock and makes "cob web".

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by veedubshafer, Mar 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

So I can't get a decent pic of it - I tried. It's about the size of a pea or slightly larger. It has a round disc sort of like on the bottom of a snail. The disc raises off the rock a bit and it lets out what looks like a string of cob web. After some junk collects on the string it has a mouth type thing that munched the string back in. If a fish gets too close it slams shut. Don't know what it is but its fun to watch!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hmm sounds like a tube snail, I had a few on this rock that came with my mushrooms. Maybe a variation of them, mine would do the exact same thing, shoot out a web and gather things and then pull it in.

From another forum:
    ...it's caused by tube snails called vermetid snails. They are common in and on live rocks. The webbing you are describing is their modified antenae which capure food particles in the water and are pulled back to the snail so it can feed.

I have since gotten rid of the rock but the tube snails were def interesting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    2 people like this.
  4. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Thats it! I just googled it and saw pics and that is without a doubt what I have thanks! And K+.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Cool, glad to help, have fun with it, I kinda miss mine like underwater spidermen

6. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

i have a couple of those in my tank as well. I actually got see one of them slowly build its shell thing on a rock. pretty cool.

7. laf-n-gas

laf-n-gas Astrea Snail

I have one too. Kinda reminds me of the thing in the sand in StarWars return of the Jedi when it is bringing the web back in