Popping frags off frag plugs?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by crustytheclown, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

so i got some very nice acan frags today and was wondering if anyone pops the frag off the frag plug and just glues that down to the LR? Or is it better to let them grow over the frag plug? They are so ugly, those plugs!

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

you can do what you want. I use a flat edge razor blade and carfully pry/pop of frag. super glue gel to a small lr or big LR.

4. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I hate frag plugs - I've been known to snip off the stem and have also used all sorts of "utensils" (pliers, hammers, etc.) to separate coral frags from the plugs. I once sent my now-favorite acro flying across the room....never mind on that one.

If the frag is super glued to the plug, it can usually be GENTLY pried away (without using my barbaric methods) and glued directly to the live rock. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I use a pair of dikes and cut off the bottom of the plug. Then glue what is left to the rock. It will over grow what is left in short time. Less stress to the coral.

6. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

I always remove the frag from the plug and glue to my live rock

7. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

Just wondering, when glueing the crags to the LR are you just using super glue in your DT under water or are you removing the LR and then glueing it to it? Will the super glue dry under water?

8. Click Here!

9. Hurley1536

Hurley1536 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yes, it will dry underwater. Make sure if you do use super glue its the gel kind though. I normally use coral putty though. LFS should sell it.

10. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

Any type of gel superglue is ok? I would think the harsh chemicals (unless the aquarium business makes a special type) would be harmful to water and corals. The putty is a great concept but unsightly.

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I cut mine off with a razor blade and super glue them to rubble rock

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Loktite gel works and is alot cheaper than gels made for the hobby even though they are both cyanoacrylites.:)