Pop eye?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by 2_slow_5.0, Aug 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2_slow_5.0

2_slow_5.0 Flamingo Tongue

I have a clarkii clown that recently developed a pop eye on its right side. My water is great just a little high on the calcium but other then that its spot on. I treated the tank with some natural immune booster stuff from my LFS but should I set up a hospital tank? will it spread?

Only think I changed was the water which I use the same thing every time and added some coral. Could the coral have caused this?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It could have had the infection for a while and it final just showed up.

4. 2_slow_5.0

2_slow_5.0 Flamingo Tongue

So the clown will be ok in the DT since I treated it? I assume it has not spread as nothing else has signs of being sick.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't think pop-eye is infectious.

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Naturally, pop eye is treated by keeping up on the diet and water change...

If wanting to treat it in the DT, you an use melafix and pimafix.

If in a QT, i would suggest one of the maracyns medications. I believe it is Maracyn 2, but dont quote me on that, Im not sure off the top of my head. As far as Im aware its not a contageous disease. My achilles got it had it for 4 months, non of the other fish ever got it.

7. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

My maroon clown got pop eye in one eye and it went away in like 2 days... he was in a small QT. I just contained him in a smaller containment box so he couldn't make it worse. I think he scrapped his eye on something... I had did reading on it and found that if it is only in one eye... chances are that it is an injury and not an infection.